Potomac River sunset

This is a 2 shot composite of a sunset looking west along the Potomac River at it’s confluence with the Monocacy River. The two exposures, one to hold just a bit of detail in the foliage and one to captures the sky and reflections, were aligned in PS and blended using a darks luminosity mask to paint in the foliage and other darkest areas. Some further correction to eliminate a few halo’s at dark/light edges (a common problem when blending) using new luminosity masks and a touch of dodging and burning completed the processing.

1 Like

The larger image is a must. I like the colors and the way the river leads you into the image. It has an interesting feeling to me. The clouds right over head give a feeling of being closed in and the river is leading to openness and freedom. Very nice image.

Hi @Mark_Seaver

Those clouds are to die for, my eyes just keep wondering on them, love the colours and depth you captured.
Also like the mirrored and flatten image on the water, to me it balances the image quite nicely.

Gougeous image, thanks for sharing.
Cheers

Fabulous photo: great compostion, great light, great colors! My only nit would be to darken the bright clouds in the upper left.

Love this shot Mark, having lived on the lower Potomac for most of my life, this great photo of yours renews my interest. To me, the clouds allows depth and towering height . Your capture is perfect.

I missed this one - a beauty! That little opening in the clouds at the top gives a nice sense of depth to the clouds and sky.