Sunset at Face Rock

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Exposure, Composition,

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Lighting, Composition, Overall effectiveness

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Some dodging and burning using layer masks in photoshop

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Hi Ray. There is a lot to like about this image - a marvellous sky, lovely light and wonderful textures in the sand and driftwood. My problem with the image, however, comes down to what is this picture about? Is it the sunset? Personally, I don’t think so, or, I would hope not considering the play of light and texture of the rocks and wood on the beach. But that sun is so strong in brightness and saturation that it keeps pulling my eye from what is, to me, most interesting. If I had composed this image - which I didn’t - I think I would have focused more intently on the play of light on the wood and rocks, possibly bringing my camera around more to the right. As it is, I might try bringing down the saturation and brightness of the sun and bringing more attention through clarity and contrast, to those beautiful pieces of driftwood - notably the piece the starts lower right and seems to curve around to the left. I love the play of light in this image and I think bringing more focus to bear in that area could strengthen this photograph.

Ray, I think your processing of this image is generally very well done. The colors, contrast and exposure look well handled, This image has a lot of dynamic range and you maintained detail in both the shadows and highlights, while creating a very natural look. Your dodging and burning have done a nice job of balancing tonality here.

I look at this image similar to @Kerry_Gordon, what really is your subject? To some degree, there is an over-abundance of good things here (sun, clouds, rock, driftwood). I think your choice of using a 50/50 horizon reflects trying to incorporate all the elements, and this horizon leaves the image being a bit static looking. I’d ask myself what story am I trying to tell with this image? And then design a composition that incorporates only those key elements that tells the story most effectively.

In this image, you have so many good things going on, you could have told a number of interesting stores. Don’t get me wrong, the image as presented is a decent story itself. But I think that more compelling stories also exist in this scene, and that trying to achieve some simplification you could emphasize those stories more effectively. Kerry’s suggestion about emphasizing the wood is one possible route to achieve this result. The light and clouds are so nice here, that I think you could have told a story about just that, and not included the wood at all.

As photographers we decide what things we want to show to our viewers. With this much good stuff going on, viewers might be confused about what they should be looking at. This is where photographers can achieve “less is more” by selecting and emphasizing a limited number of things that tell the story you want to tell.

1 Like

Kerry, thank you so much for your thoughts and perspective regarding my photograph. The scene is somewhat overwhelming with so many interesting detail. It is very difficult to stay focused on the story or central theme and I appreciate you suggestions to make the it a stronger, more focused photograph. Thank you for taking the time to provide input.

Ed, I really appreciate your insights and thoughtful coaching regarding good photographic principles. In landscape photography, I often find myself trying to express the beauty of nature rather than a clear and focused story. I have been trying to hone the “less is more” skills for at least thirty years. I can generally stay focused when the landscape is relatively simplistic. In the case of this photograph, I must admit I was overwhelmed when composing it because of the many interesting elements, hence the 50/50 horizon. When I began processing the raw file, I suddenly had a war waging inside my brain regarding how to crop it for some of the same reasons you mentioned. The war was lost, so here you see the results, the photo presented as captured with some dodging and burning for additional interest and eye guidance through the photograph. I absolutely agree with you on all your points, and appreciate the time you and Kerry have spent providing guidance.

Ray here is an example of simplification. Just taking the horizon off center makes the image more dynamic, and it still retains some of the color in the sky.

And here is another approach that emphasizes the sky.

Ed, thank you for your continued interest in my photograph. It is interesting that I cropped the photograph almost identically to the first crop example you made based on your and @Kerry_Gordon suggestions. I had difficulty signing on to the Website in the last two days, so attached is my new presentation based on the feedback received. Again, I thank both of you for the valuable insights and suggestions. I really appreciate your time. Ray

Much improved, in my opinion. It feels more contained and focused. Well done.

Thank you, @Kerry_Gordon and @Ed_McGuirk.