Constructive feedback for my image - Sunset shot from Iceland

This was a picture I took last year in Iceland when I was just beginning to learn some of the techniques around taking sunset shots. As a result, I was not aware of bracketing or using ND grad filters. Also, I think the composition could be better :slight_smile:

I was able to post process the image in Photoshop using the Dual Processing technique - one for the sky and one for the foreground. I am unable to form an opinion on the post processed image and was wondering if anyone can share any feedback on the same. I feel like the overall mood is missing :slight_smile:

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any other feedbacks would be really great.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Taken using a Canon 5dmarkiv Original RAW file

Post processed image

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hello Amith:

Looks like you had a nice scene to work with. Your original exposure is quite good. Sure, some of the darks in the foreground are nearly black, bu that doesn’t really bother me. Your post processed image looks like to tried to bring out details in the darkest parts where there wasn’t detail that needed to be there. You said the “overall mood is missing”. I agree.

Here’s a version I created from your original to accentuate the warmer colors and not try to go for all the details in the blacks. See if this feels better for the mood part. Of course there’s a lot of different answers on how to come up with a final product. This is just one.

These are just my personal opinions and I am by no means an expert. Is it a portfolio image? No, but still a decent image similar to thousands I have taken. I think you have over processed to the point where it is too bright, especially for a sunset image. And keep in mind, the FG should always be darker than the sky. You’ve probably brought the shadows up too much. There’s really not that much interesting to see there. I like @Keith_Bauer’s rework. Keep at it. We all learn from our misssteps. Also I might have tried a telephoto to narrow in on the peaks in the BG. That’s where all the action is.

Thank you, Keith. I really am able to resonate with your feedback now about not needing to brighten the shadows when there is not really much detail out there. Your edited one looks much better and clearly I over processed my image. Let me take a second stab at it.

Thanks again for the quick response.

Thank you Michael. Never thought about the FG / BG vision when it comes to sunset. Now that you mention it I wonder why I did not think about that :slight_smile: Agreed on the shadows point as well. This photo was taken last March (2019) and since then have been learning a lot about techniques. Feel better prepared for next time. Let me take a second stab at editing the pic based on your and @Keith_Bauer.

Really appreciate your insights.

Amith,

First, you’ve got a great sunset/landscape scene to work from. The reflection of the sun, light and colors on the tidal beach are a big plus and the sky is beautiful and dynamic.

And then congrats on pulling that amount of detail and luminosity out of the RAW. I would agree though that the 2nd image you’ve gone a bit too far and as mentioned, the exposure of the reflection should naturally be darker than the sky. You’ve already replied on that.

I think Keith has captured that balance of light just about perfectly. One could go back and forth on color interpretations… but his rendition is a great reference point for any rework you may do.

Thanks for sharing!

Lon

1 Like

A lot of good comments have been left. Your idea and composition are good. Sunrises and sunsets are valued for the rich variation in tones. Your reprocessing is more appropriate for an overcast day and therefore does not ring true. I like the color cast from your original photo, though.

Also, when you raise blacks too far they turn to mud, that is they lose their definition (data). The ability to recover blacks varies with the quality of the camera (sensor). It looks like you have gone too far and now are dealing with murky darks.

A wonderful shot, one that you can look back on an enjoy for a long time.

My one comment is that this would have been a great opportunity to enhance the foreground by lowering the camera, perhaps even sitting down. I think a strong foreground, midground and background would make the shot jump even more.

1 Like

Amith, I’m a little confused about the two images posted above, and whether they were both included in your initial post or not. But that doesn’t really matter. The first image (the one with more contrast), looks great and is very natural looking. The second image with more detail in the land is frankly unappealing to me, and looks very over-processed. Just because it is technically possible to add shadow detail doesn’t always mean it makes for a better image. The first image has more contrast, pop, and impact for me, the colors and contrast make for a richer looking image. The fact that the land goes into silhouette makes the first image more graphic, and thus more appealing to me.

1 Like

Thanks @Ed_McGuirk @gaurav @Igor_Doncov and @Lon_Overacker. It is indeed true that one learns so much more through discussions and feedback than by just looking at videos and blogs. I really appreciate your comments and have never thought of shadows to such an extent :slight_smile:

Sharing a second version with some of the feedbacks incorporated.

2 Likes

Outstanding job on the rework! Thanks for taking the time Amith. Well done!

1 Like

Thank you @Lon_Overacker

The exposure and contrast of the rework look much better, and more natural looking.

Color and WB are subjective, I slightly prefer the cooler WB of the original post, plus adding maybe less warmth in the highlights than you have in the rework. but that is a matter of personal taste.

1 Like

Thank you @Ed_McGuirk