Sunset at Mt Fuji

Repost of the photo without the reeds.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

At sunset the clouds started parting to reveal Mt Fuji as seen from Lake Kawaguchi.

Specific Feedback

There was beautiful light on the tops of the clouds, but the raw image, as you all know, was so grey and blah that it was difficult for me to achieve the beauty that I saw that evening. I’m not great at “color grading” so I rely on plug ins to help me.

A few questions - do you think it’s too much pink or magenta? Should I remove the reeds at the bottom - I have mixed feelings about them.

Technical Details

Fujifilm XT5, XF 16-55 lens, F 9.0, 1/180 sec, ISO 800, focal length 31mm
Processed in Lightroom, then in Photoshop: Added gaussian blur to lake, clone out a few white spots, used Radiant Photo to get more color and depth, Topaz Denoise, then Luminar Neo preset “landscape long exposure” . I’ve already spent a lot of time on this to get color and depth, but am definitely interested in your feedback/critique before I post it online and on my website. Thanks!

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Beautiful muted purples and pink here Roberta. I love the water colors and reflections. I would definitely take out the reeds on the bottom.

I think the colors are perfect! I’d probably remove the reeds at the bottom though.

@Ed_Williams and @debbie_campbell Thanks so much for the lovely compliments on the colors and on your advice. I am removing the reeds and will leave the colors as is. I appreciate you taking the time to comment!

Roberta, what beautiful sunsets you have and your very nice photo makes us admire it fully.

@Giuseppe_Guadagno thank you. I appreciate your compliment.

I think you did a great job with this! Yes, the colours are bold but they’re not overpowering and create a wonderful aesthetic! I regards to the reeds I would clone them out. There isn’t enough of them to be a significant part of the image and as thus feel like they’re intruding.

@Tom_Nevesely thank you for your great comments and the compliment! I did clone out the reeds and re-posted the revised photo. Many thanks!