Muted Sunset

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Practicing camera skills and bracketing I came across this composition for a sunset. The low clouds came in and blocked a majority of the color, but it was for practice anyway so I snapped the shot. I’m not a fan of the leaves at the top but the purpose was to practice exposure blending so I left them in the shot.

Specific Feedback

The feedback I’m looking for is the tree on the left-hand side. I thought it might curve the viewer’s eyes to the reflection in the water and to the muted sunset. But I’m not sure if it helps or distracts now. Opinions?

Technical Details

Fujifilm X S10
F 8
1/280 sec
ISO 200
19.2 mm

Hi Todd. Im guessing from a bracket practicing perspective this worked out well for you. Did it bring out the color and texture in the tree? The tree acts as a frame around the central part of the photo, and i think you could have actually included more of the branch as a frame and a balance to the tree.

Lovely light and sky here. Not overdone or too saturated. Looks quite natural as does the light off the water. I agree that the branch and the trunk aren’t balanced and I’m not sure you could have done more in the field to correct that. The amount of light on the trunk looks decent although it could come down a little I think given the sun’s position.