Sunset at the falls

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was fortunate to spend the month of September in Iceland last year. This was one of many stellar sunsets I had the good fortune to witness.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback.

Technical Details

1 sec, f/11, ISO 250, 14mm

2 Likes

Fritz, this is a stunning picture of the waterfalls and the shapes of the clouds leading into them is really nice. The main thing that troubled me when seeing it was that the falls took only a small part of the picture and the rocks in the foreground seemed to take much more weight. so my eye kept being drawn to the rocks when I wanted to look at the falls and the cloud. My suggestions are first to crop in more and am attaching one way of cropping it in but choose a crop that shows your vision making it clear what the viewer should focus on. The second thing I would recommend is to darken the rocks a little, especially the large one so it won’t draw so much attention. The long exposure is really nice.

1 Like

Hi Fritz.

That is a great photo. I’m headed to Iceland next week. Looking forward to some photography there. I am a fan of your composition here. I usually feel that images can be cropped in, but i think the way the clouds and the rocks mirror each other does a good job of leading you to the falls. I like how it places the falls within the overall landscape.

Thank you, Cameron, very much appreciate your feedback. I agree on how the clouds mirror the rocks. in this particular image. I believe you are in Iceland as I type this. If that is the case, I hope you are having a fantastic trip! Looking forward to the images.

Hi Tamar! Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on this image. I actually do have a composition that resembles the crop you did, but for what I tried to convey, I ended up preferring this composition. I do agree that the rock in the front is a bit to bright; I will play with darkening it, as well as the lower part of the photo, to see if that draws the eye more towards the falls. Really appreciate your feedback!