Sunset Reflections

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Disturbing? Alien?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Blue skies and sunlight bouncing off the bluff wall are reflected onto the rivulets and pools made by the ebbing tide in the black sand on Clam Gulch Beach, Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5D II; Canon EF28-70mm @ 70mm, f/22 @ 1/50 sec, ISO 800; Gitzo tripod, EES BH 55, remote trigger

Specific Feedback

By definition, abstracts are supposed to be mysterious. Can you interpret the scene?

2 Likes

My initial reaction was not disturbing or alien, but rather intrigue and wonder. But that probably says more about me than anything. I do like the warm/cool color contrast and the forms/shapes.

1 Like

Very cool, Bob. I like the transition form deep blue shade to ultra worm sun and then fading away into the solid black upper area. A very striking composition and color palette.

1 Like

My first impression is very positive! I love the warm / cool combo here and the patterns are great!

Bob, these are some fascinating patterns and great color combination! Job well done. I don’t find this disturbing. It’s more fascination and wonder. The dark section on top does give me pause. One interpretation I have is the darkness is encroaching on the warm light like a window shade. Awesome abstract image Bob.