Abstract Reflection

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Looking for general initial reaction to the image.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Abstract image was taken of a pool of water reflecting the sky and trees.

Technical Details

Lumix S1 with 24-105 f4 S lens @105mm
1/125 @ f7.1, iso 2500

Only minor, basic editing adjustments have been made (contrast, clarity, etc). No photoshop or any other heavy handed applications.

1 Like

Hi Bill,
wow, that is a beautiful abstract image. I really love the contrast between the warm and cool tones.

But I wonder what I’m looking at. Okay, obviously it is a water surface, some puddle or something similar. But how are all the rounded shapes created? Somehow it looks like icecubes swimming in the water. Really great.

I’m not sure about the bright branch in the URC. It’s not that big of a distraction. But it is the only object above the water’s surface that you can see directly.

And I wonder how the image would look if you cool down the white balance slightly. I think it could improve the color separation.

As to the “cubed effect”, I can’t say what that is. I did not see that through the viewfinder so I was a bit surprised when I saw it myself. But I do like it.

Thank you for your input.

This is a lovely reflection. Makes me think of fall with all those rich oranges and browns.

The “cubes” are formed by gentle ripples rebounding off each other (at least that’s my way of thinking about them). This is a nice example of “cube” ripples. You don’t see these kinds of subtle ripples when looking through the viewfinder - that is the fascination of these kinds of reflection shots. You never know exactly what you’re going to get!

As far as that branch in the URC, it doesn’t do anything for me. Neither does that OOF light twig in the LLC. I think a 4:5 crop taking off the top and bottom would work well to keep the main body of the photo (with the cool ripples) while eliminating the edge distractions.

A wonderful water abstract image Bill! Love the cube patterns. The browns look a little muddy to me. Perhaps cooling them down a bit and adjusting the hue will help. I really like the blues though. I agree with the others that the top branches are distracting. A tighter crop either a 4x5 or square would help simplify the scene. Good job spotting this and photographing it.

Bill,

A wonderful, natural abstract image. From afar, the thumbnail appeared a bit busy, but opening up the lovely mosaic patterns jump out. And so initially those mosaics with the warm cool color balance come through beautifully.

I’m going to echo the same comments regarding the branches top and bottom; mostly the upper. There’s also a small, light branch encroaching on the upper right edge that is easily cloned. The upper twigs aren’t part of the reflect actually is what makes them distracting. I do agree a simple crop removing those elements will be a big improvement. The good news is that you don’t really lose anything; the image still has the same presence plus the main and best mosaic patterns are more lower center anyway.

Great find and great vision to capture. I like the colors as presented.

Lon

Hi Bill, I really like this image and the mosaic pattern, especially the bright blues. The “cubed” effect immediately made me think of light passing through stained glass. I think it looks very beautiful in your image here. Thank you for sharing this!

Thank you.

My initial reaction was ‘wow, that is beautiful’. The colours are striking and really catch your eye. I love the effect of the sky and perhaps clouds reflecting on the water.

It is a terrific abstract.

This is beautiful! I love the warm colours and the texture on the surface of the water. Together they form a very pleasing effect.