Svalbard Wildlife

Polar bear doing her thing

Wally Jr. and friends

Walrus portrait (or “Selfie after too many doughnuts”)

Arctic Tern

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Here are a few favorites of the wildlife we saw in Svalbard. An hour and a half or so watching a polar bear do her thing was definitely a highlight. The young walrus with his group in front of the glacier was in one of the most beautiful locations with very atmospheric conditions. The arctic terns were my bonus experience. They were so pretty, and I enjoyed trying to photograph them much more than I expected. There are a lot of birds, reindeer, and we also got to see an arctic fox.

Specific Feedback

Any. As with pretty much all of my images, I always think about things I wish I’d done differently, but I’m also thankful to have these.

Technical Details

Bear -
APS-C with teleconverter at 35mm equivalent
439mm, f/9, 1/1250, ISO 320
840mm, f/9, 1/1000, ISO 400, +0.7 exp
Walruses -
Full frame at 288mm, f/11, 1/1000, ISO 2000, +.03 exp
APS-C 35mm equivalent - 600mm, f/10, 1/1250, ISO 2000, -0.3 exp
Tern -
APS-C 35mm equivalent - 265mm, f/11, 1/2500, ISO 640

Karla, the polar bear shaking and the walrus portrait stand out here, although all views look very good. The Walrus portrait makes me chuckle and I like that you’ve got it slightly off center.

Thanks for the feedback. The walrus portrait has definitely grown on me for some reason. I’m glad you enjoyed them.

What a set of memories! No wonder they’re favorites. Super trip.

Thanks, @Kris_Smith . I do have other images I enjoy from the year, but this was just a big deal for me. I am realizing more and more how much, since I am still impressed. :smiley: Would’ve loved to see the Svalbard poppy, but that’s a trade off for more snow, I guess. :smiley:

Karla,
All four images are quite nice, but I particularly love the third one of the solitary walrus. The eye contact elicits a human emotion; at least for me. Looks like you had a wonderful trip.

1 Like

@Ed_Lowe Thanks for your comment on which one stands out the most to you and why. It was a great trip.

A wonderful set, Karla. Like them all but the Walrus pack “lounging” around is extra special. Nice work on the Arctic tern also.

@Stephen_Stanton I’m glad you enjoyed them. The terns were an unexpected pleasure. They have such elegant lines. I really favored the location of the bigger walrus “blob” (as some liked to call them). Their surroundings were incredible.