Swamp Rose Mallow

(Hibiscus moscheutos) A common wetland plant, with a quiet beauty. These are available for enjoyment during avian pursuits and a change of pace from garden flowers. Hard to photograph, not so much from intrinsic beauty, but from the usual weeds, plant debris, etc.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Whatever you see of value to mention

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

My usual procedure is to isolate the subject and supporting cast to a layer separate from the BG, both to work on each with different procedures and to create a feeling of depth, usually darkening the mid tones of the BG. This was an exercise in patience, deciding what was foreground and what was background and selecting and isolating the foreground components. What do you think of the success of that for a complicated picture like this?

Any pertinent technical details:

Camera Info: Nikon D500, beanbag in SUV window
Lens: VR 300mm f/4E + 1.4x TC
Focal Length: 420mm
Focus Mode: AF-C
AF-Area Mode: Dynamic, 25 points
VR: ON
Aperture: f/8
Shutter Speed: 1/800s
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: +0.7EV
Metering: Spot
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 800
72% of full frame
PP in LR/PS CC 2019, Topaz Studio, Topaz Remask, Camera Raw filter, TK sharpen for web @ 50%

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

The processing looks great, the flower stands out nicely from the background. And the flower itself shows very nice detail. My only thought would be to crop a bit tighter to accentuate the flower and remove the left upper corner.

Good idea!

1 Like

I agree, the crop worked very well. Hibiscus are among my favorite flowers, so beautiful yet they last only a day!