Swan & Butterfly #5

It was early Spring & the swans were at their breeding pond waiting patiently for it to thaw. I had been shooting photos of them but was just watching them through the big lens at the time because they were just resting/sleeping which wasn’t very exciting. While I was watching, a butterfly suddenly appeared next to the swans. I noticed that the one swan that was standing on one leg started tracking the butterfly so I mashed the shutter button and held it down until the butterfly left the scene. I got a whole series of photos that captured the swan following the butterfly all over the place as it flew around. I was quite surprised and pleased when I viewed the images on the computer and found that the butterfly showed up quite clearly in most of the frames.

Note: I just posted all 15 images in the Avian Showcase for those who are interested. Just search for “Swan & Butterfly” in the showcase if you can’t find it.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is always appreciated.

Technical Details

Sony a6500, SEL200600G @ 600mm (800mm w/crop factor), ISO-200, f/6.3, 1/4000, hand held. I cloned out a few ugly, distracting branches in this version

1 Like

Fantastic capture, Gary! The butterfly is so clear and so is the intent of the swan! Nicely seen.

1 Like

Gary, the clarity of the butterfly is striking as is the mouth slightly open stare of the swan. The bf looks like a Morning Cloak.

This is a very interesting photo, Gary. I see a one legged swan talking to a butterfly in winter and another swan curled up like a snake. Fun. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a butterfly flying around in winter. As usual, your processing is wonderful. Thanks for giving me a smile with my coffee this morning.