Trumpeter Swan Departure #3

This was one of my favorite photos and most memorable experience of 2022. I was shooting photos of these transient Trumpeter Swans in a small stream & pond alongside the highway (with my 200-600 lens) when all of a sudden I saw them voting to leave (head dipping) and they started swimming further up the stream. I knew they were going to fly and that the only way they had room to go was directly toward me so I ran back to my truck and swapped to the 70-200 f2.8 lens so that I could get the shutter speed I needed and hopefully fit them all in the frame. As soon as I got back down to the pond they took off and I was able to get a series of shots as they approached and flew directly over my head (I felt the wind from their compression strokes). This is one of the frames taken just before they went over my head.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is appreciated.

Technical Details

Sony a6500, FE70200GM f/2.8 @ 92mm (138mm w/crop factor), ISO-320, f/2.8, hand held.

3 Likes

Looks like your fast thinking and actions paid off, Gary. What a fabulous shot!

I’ve caught them swimming and chasing, but never flying so good job! They’re the first to arrive here and the last to leave. Roosting on ice is no problem. I like that you’ve gotten all three in focus and with slightly different poses. Wonderful birds. Loud, but wonderful.