Trumpeter Swan Departure #3

There is a pond just down the road from my home which is actually just a wide spot in a stream before it goes under the highway through a culvert. I was on the way home and saw 4 transient Trumpeter Swans in the pond so I stopped and took a number of photos. I was shooting with my 200-600 mm lens and getting good closeups when they started dipping their heads and swimming upstream. From experience, I knew they were preparing to leave and because of the geography of the pond I knew they would have to make their takeoff run almost directly toward me. I quickly went back to my truck and switched to my 70-200 f2.8 lens so that I could get a wide enough angle when they got close. Just as I sat down on the culvert, they made their run and took off right in front of me. It all happened pretty fast and I had to zoom out, keep at least 3 of them in the frame and maintain focus as they ultimately flew directly over my head. I got 4 good frames of them in the air. This is #3 of those 4. The 4th swan took off late and wasn’t close enough to include it.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any & all

Technical Details

Sony a6500, SEL70200GM @ 92 mm, ISO-320, f/2.8, 1/4000, hand held.

2 Likes

Hi Gary,

They all fit in the frame nicely with some room to spare. I think that the comp works nicely and the swans appear to be choreographed as they make their climb out of the pond…,.,Jim

Excellent work, Gary. Great job keeping them all in focus and in the frame. I have trouble enough with one bird. I like the composition and the wider lens gives a good sense of the environment.

Outstanding job on the focus, wing position, and exposure.