Sweet Nothings . . . Repost

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Shot on the road out the East side of Zion NP. This was shot the same day as my previous post “Rough and Tumble.” Fortunately these two were out on the red rock in full view which has it’s own challenges, and not in the shade.

Specific Feedback

Any comments, recommendations or suggestions are welcome.

Technical Details

Canon 5D Miii, f9, 1/500 sec, iso 200, 100-400/1.4TC at 560 mm

1 Like

Ed, the differences in color and the size of the female’s horns are striking in comparison with the Bighorns that I see near Yellowstone. This is a good behavioral view with the red rock surroundings.

Thank you for your comment @Mark_Seaver. There doesn’t seem to be much traffic or “buzz” in this category. I’d really like to get some constructive feedback on some of these. I appreciate all of the myriad hours you and the other moderators and some of the other regulars give here on NPN.

Ed, In the interests of providing feedback, these are my thoughts.
Essentially, this is a record, behaviour image and given that caveat it is a fine image. If you want to make it more I would darken and slightly desaturate the BG and lighten the deer. Then apply a slight vignette. I am new to this editing others images but if you want me to I will, just let me know.

Thank you for the suggestions @mark28 Mark. They make a lot of sense and I will work on them.

Ed: this is a fine behaviorial photo as well as one that shows the environment well. I like what you’ ve done with the darkening of the subjects and the rock face. I would take even a step farther and place a well graded vignette on your photo.

Are these desert bighorns or Rocky Mountain bighorns? Since it’s Zion, I’d guess the former, which makes them more interesting in my book. We have oodles of red rock here in Colorado, so my inclination is that you r repost is a little too darkened/saturated; I’d go somewhere in the middle, and add a little vignette as others have suggested. Cool behavioral interaction!

Thank you @Richard_Sandor and @Denise_Dethlefsen. I just went through the East end of Zion again today and there was a small flock of, you got it Denise, desert bighorns with one nice ram and a couple of really cute kids. I hope I got it right in the ca.era this time instead of having to work so much on post processing.