Symphony

Sony A77II
Sony DT 16-50 f2.8 @ 26mm, CPL
ISO 100, 1/20 @ f8
Yellowstone Canyon, YNP
Like a musical symphony I was hoping to bring together a number of disparate elements into a coherent and pleasing result. I can’t add the sound of the rushing river but I hope you like the combination of light, fog, textures and colors. Or, is this cacophony instead? All comments welcome.>=))>

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Wow, this is a very unique perspective, Bill. Looks like a drone shot. Processing looks natural. Minor stuff but I’d suggest cloning out those two tree tops in the lower right corner.

This really looks good, Bill. It is kind of an abstract with great light, layers and textures. I would agree with @Dave_Dillemuth about the trees, but not a biggie at all. Very nicely done.

Bill it has a marvelous sense of the epic about it and the scale is given very nicely by the treeline.

A beautiful shot, Bill. That fog really made for some great shots for you that morning.

Love the drama here, Bill. Looks like you had some wonderful conditions in the Park. I think the comp works really well. The light at the top of the frame is divine. It amazes me how recognizable the canyon is with just a snippet of terrain.

Spectacular light and textures Bill. It is also a wonderful, intimate take of this canyon.

Beautiful light, and wonderful textures. The curve of the river really shines for me. Nice detail and excellent processing.
-P

Bill, the elements really work well to create the symphony you were hoping for! I can’t help but wonder if you made an abstract of just the upper canyon in the fog? That light is so beautiful!

Tremendously interesting play on perspective and orientation to my eye and appears to me rather a shorter focal length (<20mm). Almost induces a smidge of vertigo, but not uncomfortably - rather serves as an interesting perspective. Really takes me in and holds my attention! Highly successful image.

I too thought about a drone view!

Great job of taking a huge scene and making it appear abstract. Nicely done.

Wonderfully dreamy image, Bill. I especially like the increasingly dense fog at the top.

If you are interested in such things, there is a wonderful abstract taking the left third or half of the frame and cropping off this side of the river.

ML

Very unique perspective, Bill. Don’t believe I’ve ever seen a similar comp. Print it.
:vulcan_salute:

Absolutely fantastic, Bill! Such beautiful light here. I’m a sucker for texture and details, and this has them in spades! Definitely print worthy IMO!

This is a unique composition that works quite well. It takes a bit to get my bearings which is usually a good sign when it comes to photographs. I like that moment of disorientation before things fall into place.

1 Like

Bill,

Wow, this is fantastic! Similar to Tony, I had to step back for a minute to get my bearings. The thumbnail, opening view is somewhat deceiving - I think. The scale and reference between the river and the domineering rocky cliffs is almost mind boggling. You’ve managed some great success from this vantage point and capture. Oh, and the light and fog at the top? just icing on the cake.

Love this.

Lon

This is outstanding, Bill. I love the light and the texture of the mountain face. A powerful capture!

Gorgeous Bill - and from a very unique perspective. Symphony indeed!

Bill, this is indeed a unique view of the canyon. The color/texture shift from the foreground and river to the far slopes is very striking. The touch of fog and light at the top add a good sense of mystery. A fine, unique vision for an oft visited and photographed place.

This is outstanding, Bill! I like the mystery created by the fog and the way that this communicates the scale of this location. Simply breathtaking!