Shrouded

Sony A77II
Sony DT 16-50 f2.8
ISO 200, 1/200 @ f5.6
Lower Yellowstone Falls, YNP
On our first full morning in Yellowstone Phil Hodgkins and I got over to the lower falls before dawn. In early June the sun rises in the northeast and almost shines directly down the canyon on the falls. On this morning heavy cloud/fog settled in the canyon and only allowed fleeting glimpses of the falls. I have a number of shots of the falls in sunlight but I like this one because of the atmospherics. All comments welcome. >=))>

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

This is excellent, Bill. Really well framed and some tremendous atmosphere. Only suggestions is to burn down the bright edge along the top of the image. I find it tends to catch the eye and compete with the falls.

This is a@great take on the falls. I love the foggy scene and mood created. I would agree with @Dave_Dillemuth 's take on the bright strip.

Most photos of these falls I have seen are in bright sunlight. While beautiful, they are the norm (to me, anyway), and I appreciate more unique presentations. This is unique and wonderful. Maybe tone down the top, but very little.

Wow, Bill, this is beautiful. It is like the fog framed the falls for you. I am so glad that you were able to enjoy some time with Phil at Yellowstone.

Bill,

This is just awesome. What a great and fresh take of this iconic spot. The fog of course creating great mood and atmosphere.

Can’t say I would change anything. I do see about the bright top edge - but then the white stroke border draws even more to that top edge. But that’s a minor point.

Wonderful image.

Lon

Bill, what an iconic scene and such a unique look at it under these conditions. What a beautiful morning that must have been !

Well done!

This waterfall is so photographed, it’s special to see one that looks unique. I really like what the fog adds Bill.

Fantastic image, Bill. Perhaps my favorite image of these iconic falls, the fog thinned just enough and just at the right place to make this possible. The only thing not perfect IMHO is the competition from the other light spot in the fog in the lower left bottom that tends to pull my eye away from the falls. How fortunate that you and Phil got to experience this morning!!