Tails and Paws

Alternate version that brightens the lions a bit more and adds a bit more contrast

Two African lions resting on a large tree branch in the Ishasha section of Queen Elizabeth National Park, Uganda. I found the composition with their lazily hanging tails and paws very amusing and I was immediately drawn to this shot

Specific Feedback Requested

Both paws on the other side of the branch aren’t totally in focus as the depth of field is just too narrow (even at F/9) and I wonder how much that detracts.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 1Dx
Canon 200-400

2 Likes

Good lighthearted take on lions and certainly very original. The narrow DOF doesn’t bother me at all. Very creative and well done.

1 Like

Thank you Harley! I’m glad you found the scene amusing and fresh.

Oh, this is great! The DOF thing doesn’t bother me because the composition is so strong.

1 Like

The one on the left looks a lot more comfortable! Great composition. I prefer the second version. A variation with only the rear portion of lion on right (i.e cropping out about 20% of the right side) would balance this in a different way. But it’s great as it is.

1 Like

Thank you Bonnie I appreciate your thoughts!

Thank you for your reply Mike! Here is a crop based in your idea.

1 Like

I really love this Davir. It’s kind of abstract. It’s also very unique, not the typical ‘here’s my lion shot when I went to Africa’ photo. I think it really brings out the personality of the lions without even seeing their faces. Great composition as presented.

1 Like

Very well seen and captured!
Can be interpreted in so many ways!
TFS!

1 Like

Thank you for your reply Vanessa! I hoped to capture another side of the lions with this shot. Something that hasn’t really been done before and it is very difficult with such an oft photographed subject.

Thank you for your thoughts Jagdeep!

I like this a lot, and honestly I don’t see any need to include the top of the right lion’s back. You’re just introducing more little glaring bits of sky that peek through. Since this is all about the body parts hanging down into the frame and we can’t see the whole animals anyway, I think you could eliminate a sliver from the top and create a cleaner border that way.