Family Greeting +repost#2

Added edit #2 above with further deepened tones in lions. I don’t like the darker faces as well but they do shift emphasis more to the crossed tails? Any additional feedback is always welcomed!

Added further edited version with darkened subjects based on feedback

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

These three were part of a larger pride in the Maasai Mara that was very happy to be together. The Mara was very, VERY green earlier this year, and I’m trying to work some of my favorite behavioral images in b/w since the green was overwhelming when the sun was out. I’ve almost never worked in b/w and I’d love some critique and suggestions.

Specific Feedback

This is ONLY cropped on the right - it was a tight shot as they came close. I’ve bumped up exposure and lightened shadows, added a soft light w/ add’l exposure over the faces and removed a LOT of flies :wink: I also backed down texture, clarity and hazed the background a bit.
I really like the way the two outer lions are touching each other with their tails and I’d love to make this image work. Any suggestions that would improve my b/w processing greatly appreciated.

Technical Details

1/3200 sec, f/7.1, ISO 3200
We had just shot very fast action a few feet away and I should have slowed shutter speed and backed down ISO here, so thank you Topaz DeNoise, too :wink:

1 Like

It’s a beautiful moment you captured here ! I just wish you had some more canvas at the bottom.
I’m not sure of your experience in B&W.
This appear to have got high-key treatment, even mid tones are very bright. You may rework on B&W, their faces and body should have a grey tone, something like you see in the tails here.

Thanks so much, @JRajput I have re-edited with your very helpful feedback in mind. I don’t think I went too far, and may not have gone far enough. I’m grateful for your review and feedback!

1 Like

Like you thought, you need to go further, push the mid tones and blacks as well.
It looks more like a Grey & White than B&W.

Cindy: I have litle B/W experience so can’t offer any valid suggestions. I really like the behavior that you’ve captured here. One general suggestion would be to add a linear gradient in the left side and upper left as it is very bright. If you have more canvas at the botom, it would be good to see the lion’s feet.

1 Like

@JRajput and @Richard_Sandor I can’t thank you enough for taking time to review and provide critique - I’m very grateful for help with b/w editing and have posted a 2nd revision.
Richard, I used your feedback to bring down the brightness along the left and upper left edge. Jagdeep, I’m seeing black at least in the gums of the center lion :wink: Would love any further thoughts from either of you - and anyone - if you have a moment. Thank you again!

1 Like

Cindy: I liked your repost 1, more than 2 as 2 is too dark for my tastes. For me, the faces and bodies of the lionesses are the heart of the photo. The two crossed tails while a nice feature, take a distant second place in importance. :sunglasses: Nicely done!

1 Like

Thank you, Richard! I appreciate your eye and replies!

Cindy: you are most welcome.

1 Like

Cindy, this is such a sweet image of three closely related cats that clearly appreciate each other. I love the tails over the back and the expressions on their faces.

1 Like

Thank you so much, Ed.
I could happily spend the rest of my life watching lion prides!

1 Like