Takeoff Updated

Updated:

Today I went back to the lake to look for the Egret I saw yesterday and wanted to see how the full frame camera would do with the lens combo I was using. This bird sure wanted to show off flying all over the lake.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

These birds are bright so any feedback welcome on controlling that.

Technical Details

R6m2 RF 100-500 w/2x Extender on a tripod. 1000mm ISO 2000 1/1250 f/18. It seemed like the full frame picked up like better, maybe it was just a brighter cloudy day

What stands out for me is the position of the legs and the trailing water. I also like being able to show it flying in its environment. I wonder if a more panoramic crop would work. I’m still trying to figure out how to control the whites myself-it’s tough on birds like this.

You got some nice action. The whites look OK to me – they are always a challenge to dig out any available tonal structure without going gray.

I’d definitely crop from the top to remove the darker band of vegetation and from the bottom at least halfway up into the disturbed water – and maybe more.

The exposure and processing looks o.k. Usually you need to underexpose to keep some details in these herons, especially when it is sunny. Your cloudy conditions have been favorable, I think.
I agree with @Diane_Miller about cropping.

Thank you for the feedback, @Diane_Miller , @Allen_Brooks , and @Han_Schutten. I changed the photo to a 2:1 ratio which took care of the crop suggested. I dead small tree was a little more distracting so I took that out as well.

2 Likes