Taking Off

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

There is a wildlife refuge near my home. The roads that wander through the refuge allow me to use my car as a blind. I can prop my telephoto lens in the open window and hope the birds stay within range so I don’t have to start the engine and move to the next spot. Some years the ponds are full of life. This year was rather sparse in the number of species. This Great Egret was quite accommodating as it fed in the marshy area. Hope this qualifies. I was on the road and in my car!

Specific Feedback

The original was not sharp. I sharpened in post-processing. It looks like there are blown-out areas on the neck, but the original histogram has no clipping in the highlights. Comments on the processing would be appreciated.

Technical Details

Taken with my Sony a7iv.
ISO 125, f/7.1, 1 /1250 sec. 400 focal length.
Propped on the open window which is not as steady as I would like. I was probably using my bean bag to hold the lens.

What a nice pose you caught Barbara! Also, nice “unbusy” background that lets him stand out. There is lots of detail in the feathers but it kinda looks overdone a bit or unnatural…maybe too much sharpening? As a NWR volunteer, I’m familiar with the opportunities to view wildlife on them and I’m glad you visit your local refuge.

Any bird that close is a wonderful opportunity! And white birds in the sun are… well… pretty white. I don’t know where you are, but the refuges in Northern CA were said to be sparely populated this year due to water management practices whose details I don’t know.

Thanks, @Diane_Miller and @Jim_Lockhart for your comments. I may have pushed the sharpening a bit too much. I am not a NWR volunteer.