Great Egret

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Great Egret captured at the Wakodahatchee wetland in Delray Beach, Florida.

Specific Feedback

bright enough?

Technical Details

Nikon D800 with a Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 @ 370mm
AP @ 1/400 sec @ f/90 -2/3EV
ISO 720, handheld

1 Like

Looks generally bright enough, Ray. There’s some odd blotchiness with certain areas looking whiter for no reason I can be sure of. I suspect it was something in the water that was coating the feathers. You might want to take some off the bottom. With just the head chopped off down there it looks like a mistake rather than a purposeful composition.

1 Like

Thanks, Dennis.

Nice find but I agree with @Dennis_Plank about the amount of the reflection – it needs all of it or a lot less. This composition is like cutting off feet. Something strange happened with the reflection too, with a sharp-edged lighter area, probably from a mask issue.

1 Like

Ray, I like the background to emphasize the white bird. I can’t tell for sure, but there might be some burned-out areas on the bird’s back. What did the histogram say in that area?

The histogram did not indicate any blown out highlight. I do see what appears to be a bright spot on bird now that you mention it. I appreciate your insights.

I agree, thanks for the suggestion.

I figured it probably did not. The feathers on the back are so smooth there is no detail to be seen.

Repost with changes resulting from your valuable feedback. Ready for your further suggestions.

You can edit your original post and put the revision there so people can click back and forth to really see the differences.

Thanks, I was wondering how to do that. I appreciate the help.