Talisker Bay

Continuing the discussion from Talisker Bay:

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details:

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

HI Paul! A location I know :smiley: It’s such a crazy place. I like your composition here. I think the rocks at the front are well framed and seem to draw you into the waterfall.

My cc revolves around the sky and the upper left portions of the image. There seem to have been some issues bringing the highlights under control and they seem quite blown out and as a result have created some fringing around the edges of the clouds. I’d have a pay in post and see what you can do. I think if you had waited for the sun to just drop behind the horizon, the highlights would have been reduced and the colours a bit less red in the sky. For me the red of the clouds overpowers the subtler reds and magentas in the rest of the shot.

Hope that helps

Paul,

Love what’s going on with the rocks and beach. The flow of water in and around the rocks, is almost like molten sand or something. Can’t quite figure a better description.

I like the larger rock (or wood?) in the LLC, only wish there was a little more included. This goes along with wishing there was more on the left in general to get the sun off the left edge. And I agree with Eugene’s comments about the brightness. Yeah, it’s the sun, but I think combining the brightness right on the edge of the frame make it a bit more distracting.

I like the dynamic clouds and combined with the flow on the beach this has a nice flowing composition. To me, the waterfall is just a neat accent. Probably means more to those who are familiar with the location.

Lon

Thanks Eugene and Lon, I appreciate your time and effort in providing comments - exactly what I am look for.

I’m going to take another look at my files and see if I bracketed my exposures. There may be one with less exposed sky, but Lon your right, it’s directly into the sun.

Oh, and the LLC corner is the beach (sand). I’m right on the edge of a stream flowing out to sea.

Paul

Paul,

Excellent job on foreground exposure and composition. I feel as others have mentioned the sky could use additional work but if the raw file is blown out in that area there isn’t much you can do without considering other shots around that time that could allow for blending. All in all though it was an image I spent a fair amount of time exploring.

David

David, thank you for taking the time to respond to my post, much appreciated, and sorry for my tardiness in replying (lot of traveling). I will be reviewing other files taken at the same time, but with it being into the sun, I;msure those too are somewhat blown out.

Great light and scene for sure. I feel like there is a bit too much foreground in this comp. I’d like to see more sky and less of the dark and distracting elements in the front and left side.