Tapestry

This is one of my favorite image from my Fall color trip to the Eastern Sierra last year. In most of my work, I strive to create an image that can be interpreted in multiple ways. I want to engage the audience in a way that they, too, are part of the image. I hope that the viewer will take his/her time to explore the frame and then perhaps form a story around it. Such is my goal with this image. Any feedback and comments are always appreciated, especially I’d love to hear how the image engages you as you see it.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Beautiful and really nicely understated. It is a great image to explore and wander. I am enjoying this one quite a bit.

1 Like

Adhika, this immediately caught my eye. I’m quite fond of the later stages of fall color, with the past peak portions nicely interspersed with the rest. Makes for a very pleasant effect. Excellent work.

1 Like

I’m also fond of post peak foliage. The bare trees invite exploration. I’m certain the computer screen does not do the details in the image justice.

1 Like

Thanks, guys. I, too, was very attracted to the arrangement of the bare trees when shooting this. I am glad that you guys are enjoying the exploration.

@Bill_Pelzmann, indeed. Quite honestly, I am constantly amazed by the resolving power of the Nikkor 300mm PF lens. It’s a pretty awesome lens.

Adhika, I’m really enjoying this image, as you said there are a lot of nice details for the viewer to explore. I like the soft feeling here, due to your restrained processing of color saturation. The lower level of saturation lets the viewer focus instead on all the nice details and textures.

There are two elements within this image that I think are very effective. First, the one orange tree does a great job of breaking up the overall pattern. And second, I like how you composed this to include a row of tree trunks with no leaves at the top of the frame, this creates a nice separation that emphasizes the trees below. Very nicely done on your part.

1 Like

I noticed that as well. It works really well for the two corners.

One rarely sees fall foliage displayed with such restrained colors. I like the change. It helps you want to explore the tree trunks and branches. This could look good on a white frame or background to add to the mood. Lovely.

1 Like

Very Nice shot Adhika, I love how the repeating pattern is broken up by the one reddish tree. The trees with no leaves create for a nice contrast with the all the bright foliage and create a bit of space and depth.

1 Like

Beautifully done. The understated color works very nicely, and like all the detail, especially in the bare trees. That single red Aspen is perfectly placed.

Just thinking about it, but I am wondering how a very slight boost in contrast would work. Not a lot, mind you, just a wee bit.

The Sierra East Side is a magical place, and this brings that out.
-P

1 Like

@Ed_McGuirk, @Blake_Randall, @Preston_Birdwell: Thanks, guys. For full disclosure , I did play with a higher saturation value when I was first working on this image but it seemed to me that everything was competing against each other and the image was chaotic. I’m glad to hear your assessment about the more subtle color palette here.

Thanks for noticing the about the contrasting bands on top and below. That was the one that took the longest to work on in the field.

@Preston_Birdwell: That’s a good thought about a very slight boost in contrast. I will give it a play!

@Igor_Doncov: Thanks so much, Igor. I am glad you mention about framing. I like making notes on how I am going to print, mat, and frame my works although these notes do not really manifest into reality as frequently as they should have. I am pretty set with matboard that mimics the aspen trunks (perhaps a lot warmer than what’s presented in the image). But I am not quite sure about the frame. A gray frame would probably work but I am not sure how that would work out with the matboard.

This is very beautiful. The soft light and delicate colors work wonderfully. If it were mine I would crop out the upper right “bare” area as it breaks up the repeating pattern of the forest.

1 Like

Thanks, Dave! Yeah, the upper right “bare” area is something that bothers me a little bit in the beginning, too. But at the same time cropping it out would make everything else imbalanced. Fall can’t come any sooner! :smiley:

1 Like

If your ethics permit this kind of thing, another way around this without cropping is via some PS Content Aware Fill and Cloning, I addressed the two bare spots in the URC.

1 Like

The colour and detail catch your eye to begin with - their wonderful flow across the frame. I think then you feel yourself immersed in this forest without apparent end, ready to follow the pathways between the leafy trees to wherever they may lead.

1 Like

Thanks @Ian_Wolfenden and @Ed_McGuirk.

Ed, what a great idea. Content Aware never occurred to me because cloning this is a LOT of work. But I saw what you did and gave it a try. What a great idea. Thanks, @Dave_Dillemuth for the suggestion!

Nice, I definitely like the redo

Adhika I just wanted to compliment you on your image. I’ve not been to that part of the country at that time of the year so it’s a special treat for me. I like the way you framed it and the colors are beautiful. Looks like Autumn to me.

Thanks @Blake_Randall and @Jim_Nall! Thank goodness for Content Aware fill!

Just saw your re-work Adhika, glad to see that the CAF solved your problem quite nicely. It looks great !!!