Tayra

This guy was an unexpected visitor to our lodge as we were awaiting avian subjects to drop into our feeder setups. Once he had consumed all the fruit he tried to make a hasty retreat-but not without leaving incriminating evidence.

Mindo, Ecuador

D500
70-200mm f/2.8 (145mm)
1/400s @ f7.1
ISO 2500
HH
LR/PS/ Topaz AI Clear

What technical feedback would you like if any?All feedback welcomed.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Most beautiful, Chuck. The weasel itself is caught perfectly here. I might want a little bit of room above, maybe closer to a 3:2 proportion mimicking the slender body of the animal itself. You have processed this really well, too.

Two things that bother me if I were to nit: 1. The branch just next to the weasel and 2. the triangular branch on the LR corner of the image. But having worked in similar environment, I acknowledge that it is challenging to work on this type of habitat. Itā€™s always messy.

Thank you for your critique Adhika. My thinking with the composition was that 1),
I didnā€™t have enough canvas to include the entire tail and have adequate room for a 2*3 format-and 2) I had thought of removing both of those offensive obstacles, but realized Iā€™d be significantly altering the jungle environment which this guy was found-so I Oped to show the image, warts and all.

Best,

Chuck

Chuck, love this Tyra shot! You chose one of the ā€œCuteā€ poses vs the teeth and claws one .
I like the way the whole scene is so evocative of the Ecuadorean mountain environment - I can almost feel the mist creeping in.

I often had this conundrum too when dealing with animals with long limbs or other body partsā€¦ Should I include everything or should I cut off some parts so the body is not so small in the scene. I think you have chosen the right thing here.

I like this quite a bit Chuck. What a cool animal in a great classic position with superb eye contact. I think the eye contact is strong enough to reduce the distraction of the branch to the left of the critter although you might want to try to clone it away.

Great shot of an interesting animal Chuck. Branch to the left is mildly distracting for me, I wonder if this could be toned down or taken away?

Very cool frame! I like he expressions, as if surprised,
I agree with Ryan H, you may tone it down,

Very nice, Chuck. I love the climbing pose and the head turn. I do wish the branch in the lower right corner werenā€™t there, but I donā€™t think you had much choice.