Teamwork!

This was the first time I ever saw anything like this! I was in the parking lot of a grocery store 2 summers ago and these Northern Mockingbirds were attacking this Hawk! He finally gave up trying to stay and flew off. I fortunately had my camera and was able to get quite a few shots but this one I was able to get both of the Mockingbirds at the same time!

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400
ISO 100
300mm
f/6.3
1/1000
Cropped some of the bottom light pole off. Did not crop from the top, in other words can’t add any room above the top bird.
Sharpened, and applied noise reduction for sky. Slight adjustments on exposure, less than +1, highlights +22, and contrast +17

naturenessie
2 Likes

What a cool scene. Hawks get mobbed a lot by songbirds, eagles, too. Crazy, but it’s all they can do to defend territory and nests. I like the angle and the action of the little ones. The hawk itself is in great focus, but the ss was a little slow to freeze the cats…or are they mockingbirds?

I like your processing as well. Good job.

1 Like

Thanks, Kristen! I thought they were mockingbirds at first but someone corrected me and said they were catbirds.

Great shot. Content aware fill in PS will easily add some image along the top.

1 Like

Very cool moment in time very well captured. Really nice.

1 Like

A great moment in time and the birds are perfectly placed in the frame, Vanessa. I could see adding a little canvas at the top, but not a big deal. Nicely done.

1 Like

What a super catch, Vanessa! I like the curved line of the birds and you did really well with the focus. Now I know not only what a catbird is, but what both sides of the wing look lke.

1 Like

@Mike_Friel @Kris_Smith @Harley_Goldman @Ed_Lowe @Ronald_Murphy I just had to look up some comparisons in different pictures of a Catbird vs a Northern Mockingbird and from what I’m seeing this is definitely a Northern Mockingbird! So I just wanted to make that correction! Especially when Mike was talking about the wing patterns! Thanks to all of you for looking at the photo and your comments and the suggestions to add something to the top. I don’t have PS but I didn’t know that could be done! Glad you like it! :smiley:

This is quite a scene, Vanessa. A rare moment, captured well.

1 Like

@Mark_Seaver Thanks, Mark! It was amazing to watch and photograph!

Incredible – fast thinking and well done!

1 Like

Very cool. Quick reflexes!

1 Like

Thanks @Diane_Miller and @terryb! I could see something starting to unfold, didn’t really know what as I had never seen this before! I grabbed my camera, started following the chase from one pole to another, focusing on the hawk and just kept shooting ! :slight_smile:

1 Like