Temagami Dawn

Pre-dawn. The still moment of transition. The camera has proved to be my gateway. Were it not for photography, it is hard for me to imagine getting out of my nice warm sleeping bag in the wee hours. But for me, picture or no, it is that numinous, in-between time when I feel most alive and most connected to the world. In my experience, having a picture to share is a bonus, never more than a pale reflection of the world revealed.
The light, the clouds, the mist, the reflections, the silence – absolute perfection. But what ultimately drew my eye was the early light falling on those two birch trees on the shore to the right of the frame.
As this scene began to emerge out of the darkness the challenge was to make a picture without losing my sense of connection. In the end, that turns out to be the hardest part for me in making photographs – staying with the moment. Because in the end, it is the moment not the photograph that nourishes me.
Any and all comments, thoughts or feelings are most appreciated.

P.S. Tip of the hat to @Ola_Jovall for this idea for framing the canvas.

Is this a composite: No

Hi Kerry! I really like the pastel colors, the light, the clouds and the near perfect reflection. Beautiful composition.

I know what you mean about it being difficult staying in the moment, but capturing a photo likes this takes me back to that moment long after the experience.

Well done!

I can see how those two trees on the right made the moment special for you. Some would emphasize that sunlight even more but this works for me. It is indeed an idyllic scene and one I used to savor. There is only one element missing. Trout rings on the surface. Part of the pleasure of rising early for the trout bite was to witness scenes like this. It’s a really well done image in the 19th century sense of landscape art - subdued yet full romance. The black frame adds a certain elegance to the presentation.

The image is beautifully composed and processed, and the light and colors are wonderful. In fact, I’m not sure you could have composed this any better. But what I enjoyed most about this image is your accompanying essay. The image becomes even stronger for me upon reading your essay. It just rings true, and your image embodies the special look and feel of early morning.

My father enjoyed hunting and fishing, and despite taking me along with him when I was growing up , he was never able to interest me in those endeavors. But decades later I’ve come to realize that landscape photographers and hunters/fishermen belong to the same club. They are part of a small percent of the overall population that get to experience the early morning beauty of nature in a way that most people do not.

Absolutely eloquent, and it’s a large part of what I enjoy most about landscape photography too.

@Steve_Kennedy , @Igor_Doncov , @Ed_McGuirk - Thank you all for your gracious and illuminating comments. This image is far from anything I’d call “experimental” but I am so attracted to it and I confess, I look at it a lot. It does seem to capture the peace and calm of that special pre-dawn time. I think your comment, Igor, helped me to understand my attraction - it does reflect the Romantic, 19th century vision of the natural world. I suppose it shouldn’t come as such a surprise as my world view has always been a very spiritual one.
Ed, you and Igor both made reference to fishing (and hunting) as reasons to be be up and about in the early hours of the day. I started taking pictures about five years ago but prior to that it was fishing that got me out of my bag. Once my wife and I committed ourselves to our yearly month-long canoe trips, she “encouraged” me to learn to fish - fresh fish and less food to carry. I still fish but now only when its convenient. Once I started taking pictures that morning time became reserved for me and the camera.