Testing. . .testing. . .testing

I feel as though I’ve taken quite a different path on the “testing challenge,” but here goes. I discovered an article on cyanotype photography and decided to give it a try. From what I read it was discovered/invented in 1841 by Sir John Herschel and later popularized by Anna Atkins 1843 with a book she produced using photographic images. The process includes creating sensitized paper, then exposing to lighting and finally washing the chemicals off/processing. Then drying.

I’ve attached 5 examples of my experiment (with brief notes about each) and am curious about what others think process? Have you heard of “cyanotypes?” Is it a photograph? Or is it simply a process/technique for occasional use? Any other thoughts, comments?

#1 - leaf - exposed inside for approx. 45min. under tungsten lighting.

#2 - “bat” leaf - exposed outside - mid day - 5 minutes

#3 - “bat” leaf - exposed outside - mid day - 5 minutes - orange color paper

#4 - leaves - exposed outside - 1:30pm - 25 minutes - handmade paper thick with seeds

#5 - photonegative - created from photo, inverted then exposed on sensitive paper in sun light.

Love to hear your thoughts and comments on this process. Thanks

5 Likes

Yes, I have heard of cyanotypes, but didn’t know much about them. I thought it was a darkroom technique, but I stand corrected. Applause for trying such an old way of making images. It’s even more antiquated than my Digital Film Challenge!!

I love the dense scattering of organic matter in #4 the best. The deep blue is really unusual. But the leaf bats are pretty great, too. And the last one is almost in a class by itself. Delicate, yet startling and bold. Really a great project. Do more!

Same here – I LOVE #4, closely followed by #5. Definitely need more of these!

very interesting, agree with #4

Linda, please keep this coming. Love #5 especially. It’s almost like a mini landscape!

Wonderful!

#4 is incredibly captivating. The combination of three art forms, nature, handmade paper, and cyanotype, is beautiful.

I’m familiar with Anna Atkins. Her book “Photographs of British Algae: Cyanotype Impressions” is considered to be the first to be illustrated entirely with photographs.

MoMA has a succinct description of her pioneering explorations into botany and photography, along with plates of her work.

Thank you, Linda! Keep testing.

I really love#5 the best. Love the off-white background and the delicate looking foliage. It has a very antique look to it.

Thank you, @_Kris , @Diane_Miller, @Adhika_Lie, @paul_g_wiegman, @Vanessa_Hill and @Norma_Tareila-Matley. This has been a fun process to learn. It reminds me of when I had gone back to college to study photography but also took some printmaking courses. The process is quite similar, intriguing and subject to a lot of variables. #4 which many of you liked, as I said is handmade paper I made many years ago. Must admit it is my favorite also. Paul, I did go to MoMA and the section on Anna Atkins, fascinating information. There is still plenty to learn as each type of paper, lighting conditions and the subject will all produce a different end results. Actually exciting to see what happens. Glad you are enjoying them, thanks again.

I experimented with cyanotypes in an alternative processes class as a requirement in a Jr. College photo course. Initially I put flat objects in the contact frame and then processed after sunlight exposure. Then I tried going to a film negative/positive process as you did on #5. I liked the ease of use of the chems and the water wash, no fixer necessary. Of course I put no thought into the actual composition of the items I put in the frame so they were all blah images.

Something you can try is to change objects or positioning at different time intervals during exposure. Or, use more transparent materials over each other for compound patterns.

1 Like

Fascinating approach. Yes I’ve read about cyanotypes but have never attempted anything like this. Good for you for reaching out and trying something very different.

1 Like

Wow, those are very cool. I’ve read about cyanotypes, but never tried it. I love your #4 and #5. The added texture of the textured paper works really well with the leaves. I’m very impressed!

1 Like

Thanks @Guy_Manning. I had considered experimenting with moving the subject, but haven’t had a chance yet to do that. Also like your idea about using transparent materials. Great ideas, thanks again.

Thanks so much, @Bonnie_Lampley and @David_Schoen. It was a fun experiment and definitely want to do more, try some of @Guy_Manning ideas.

Linda, these are all way cool. There’s a “clean” look to 1 & 3 that I like, while both 4 & 5 offer more complexity, which likely means longer viewing. My one thought is that eliminating the edges would make them a bit more inscrutable by adding a “how was this done” feeling.

1 Like

4 and 5 for me, too. Fascinating look and really nicely different. Looks like a really fun experiment.

2 Likes

Kudos for this experimentation! I think these are fabulous. #3 and 4 are my favorites, for their interest and composition.
How do you make paper that is “sensitive”? Cover it with a chemical?

1 Like

Thank you, @Mark_Seaver for the Editors Choice selection. I’m very honor and humbled at the same time. And, yes, perhaps a bit more of an explanation would help. I’ll include a copy of web links for those who might be interested in more detail. Basically you mix ammonium ferric citrate and potassium ferricyanide with distilled water. Coat the paper (material or whatever medium you chose) using a sponge brush. Let it dry in a dark place. At this point you can either expose inside under tungsten lighting or outside. Place whatever your subject is (leaf, grasses, photonegatives) on top of the sensitized paper, place a glass on top (to hold the subject in place) and expose. Exposure times vary depending on lighting conditions. The paper is then rinsed in distilled water. Also can use hydrogen peroxide to hasten and darken the process, then rinse again. Then dry. There are many variable to the process such as; moving the subject to create shadows or placing transparent materials on top to give a different effect. There are also various post processing techniques using bleaches and toning chemicals. Here are a couple of links that will explain in more detail.

Thanks also to @Harley_Goldman and @Mark_Muller for your kind thoughts.

1 Like