The Ambush

This is the same Sharp-shinned Hawk as my last post (I think). One of its favorite places to hide while waiting for the Goldfinches to calm down and come back to the feeders is a dwarf apple tree near them. I didn’t like this head turn that much, but finding an avenue to get it at all in the tree feels like an accomplishment.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. I was trying to sneak up on it for this and ended up with the side of the garage in the right side of the frame. The out of focus blur luckily ended just before the hawk. I used the local adjustment brush in Lightroom with The Dehaze function to minimize the effect.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Sony a6500, FE200-600 @ 600 mm, handheld, f/8, 1/800, iso 1000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 2240x2928. Taken at 5:26 pm on August 22nd.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Nice catch, Dennis. My Sharp-shinned hides in my holly bushes, or chases birds into the holly bushes. Difficult to get a good shot in those conditions. This pose works fine for me.

A deadly stare. Something has the hawks attention. I like the placement of the hawk in the frame. Good job on minimizing the blur. Nice one.

This is really nice, Dennis! Love the way the bird is surrounded bu the leaves. No nits from me. Cheers, Hans