The Beauty That Lay Within the Beast

This is a shot made moments after they fired off the last roll of paper from this mill which had been in operation for 92 years.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything

Technical Details

D850, 17-35, f/8, ISO 200, 6 seconds, Hoya 720 nm Filter

I did a rather different process in developing this image. In ACR, I did the basic adjustments for contrast and highlights, but instead of going directly to PS and doing a channel swap, I used the Calibration adjustments to get to a reasonable B&W rendition, then used a High Contrast B&W preset and adjusted some of the densities with an adjustment brush. In PS, using the TK8 Orton Effect, I adjusted the effect down to around 2.8 on the blur and dinked with the contrast. I like this technique better than the channel swapping.

HI Chris, your processing certainly gave you a deep and rich result. Excellent. I think you could crop some off the bottom, but that is nitpicking. It’s an outstanding image. Well done. Thanks for the story too.

1 Like

I can only imagine what will happen to this site now that it is out of commission. It’s a shame, really, but it is great you managed to capture this photograph before anything inevitably happens.

There are only two aspects which I do not care for with this composition. The first is the dock on the lefthand side. I feel as though it is a bit too bright and thereby distracting of the main subject, the primary building. This could easily be fixed with some dodging/burning and perhaps a bit of a vignette. I would also say about cloning out the two white elements on the boat against the left edge, as they are quite distracting; I would do the same for the three white pieces above the dock, left-side.

The other recommendation, though there is little you can do about it now lest you go back to this location, would be getting a bit higher of a vantage point. This would help to separate the dock’s roof from the land in the background, which I think would help the composition overall, even though it seems to be a bit menial.

As a whole, I think this is quite a nice piece, with a story which makes it that much better. Nice work.