The Boot at Palm Beach

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The “Boot” is the small rock formation almost dead centre of the image and is a moccasin style boot with a roll top. Not the best angle for it but the tide wasn’t playing ball for the right location.

Specific Feedback

It was a very grey morning so I though a long exposure in black and white might suit the scene. It’s also very slightly toned (in Lightroom hue 40 saturation 2 in the colour grading panel). I generally like to colour grade my B & Ws and use a higher saturation (around 5-10) but this image seemed to want less. I felt the long exposure, B & W, toning would add to the feeling of calmness of the grey morning with almost no wave action.

Technical Details

120 seconds @ f8 ISO 125, 16-55mm lens at 20mm on a Fuji X-T5, ND filter 6 stops. Processed in Lightroom to B & W with some basic adjustments for contrast and tone with some masking. And colour graded (Hue 40, Saturation 2).

Very nice, with wonderful tonalities and ghosty water. But I wonder about aiming down a little more for more FG (very interesting) and less sky (nice but not so interesting).

1 Like

It’s a beautifully toned scene. I really like it. I like the contrast of the water and rocks.

I agree with @Diane_Miller about lowering the camera a touch or making a slight cropping post. I do think the sky helps the image breathe l, so there doesn’t need to be too much of a crop. But I still think it really works as is.

Welcome Mark! The smooth water texture contrasting with the rugged rocks blends well, and I like the way the rocks flow into the distance. I agree about less sky.