The Courthouse 1895

During Thanksgiving week, visiting family in Spokane WA., I took advantage of a short car trip to downtown so a nephew could pay a traffic fine. The building was very close to the Spokane Courthouse a castle style architecture built in 1895. It was my first up close look at it and as we drove by the low angle morning light celebrated the pillars and windows and turrets. I spent 5 minutes and took about 6 photos. This post was the best of the bunch. I like the vertical lines of the pillars and the window and steeple details. We’ll never build em like this any more.

Used the “Transform” tool in Lightroom to straighten the pillars and turrets but I see there is still a little tilt left . Anybody know of any other way to to straighten profiles on architecture shots?

Any thoughts on the tree branches leading into the building? Do they detract or add to the age of the structure as caught here?

Nikon D7100, 16-85 lens @35mm, 1/200sec @ f9, ISO 100.

Thanks for looking!

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Lovely old building. And you captured some nice light on it as well. Tack sharp though out.
Sorry can’t help you on how to straighten buildings out. I can tell you I did not notice anything odd.

Branches don’t bother me. They perhaps add to the ambiance. Yes nothing like this going to built like this again. Unless it is in a theme park.

Thanks for posting the comment, David. It is a dominating building in the downtown area.

Stephen, nice photo! The trees don’t bother me. In fact, I think they balance the photo better by diminishing the effect of the empty space on the left. Here is my attempt at straightening things. I did it by duplicating the background layer, then using Edit/Transform/Skew. Grab the upper left corner and move it to the left, then grab the lower right corner and move it to the right, then grab the lower left and move it right or left, depending. You may have to keep playing with the three different corners until you get something you like.

Thanks for your comments and input, Tony, I’ll play with it in the Photoshop and see what I can get. I liked the branches and thought they were helpful to the overall image.