If Walls Could Talk

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This old store was taken in the ghost town of Friend Oregon. I am sure there are a lot of stories about this old building, which is why I named it “If walls could talk”.

Specific Feedback

Feedback requested on two things.

1. The color and toning
  2. Is this image straight? If you look at the left wall it appears crooked. The right wall is straight.

Technical Details

1/200, f8, 22mm, ISO200

I had not heard of Friend before and had to look it up. The Wikipedia article is interesting, it even mentions the store. I can see the charm and why you captured this. It brings up so many thoughts of what it was like at the beginning, its prime, and its eventual abandonment. The black and white works well; for me it has an “old” feel to it.

Bumming around the back roads of Oregon and Washington, it’s fascinating to see these old structures and how the march of time has changed them. I’m probably not the guy to do it, but it would be a cool project to put together a number of images. (Likely not an original idea, but I haven’t come across such a project yet.)

I find color and toning to be quite personal, and as such I think your version is fine. I say go with what you love. With that said though, I have two ideas to play with for comparison.

First, I find at times my eye sticks to transitions in the toning where there are sharp contrasts in luminosity; my eye will notice the color more (usually a magenta/red contrasting with cyan/blue in the midtones). To compare, I sometimes will duplicate the image on a new layer in Photoshop, blur the new layer using “Average,” and then set the new layer to color mode. This spreads the toning more evenly across the luminosities. Sometimes I like the change, other times not. Here’s what I came up with by doing that with your image:

Second, I almost always prefer cool toning in images. At times though, I think that warm toning can emphasize desolation and can work with old buildings. Here’s an example of that to compare:

In the end though, when it comes to toning you be you.

As for the leaning, I think it adds to the character. I think you could fix that by slightly rotating and applying a Lens Correction filter, but I’m not sure I would; the tilted walls add to the aging appearance.

Finally, there’s a touch of haloing I’m picking up where the sky touches the darker trees that I’d go after if I was printing this beauty.

Hi Scott! Nice shot of this old girl! I’ve been to Friend a few times (I have a friend in Friend) and enjoy seeing this and the old school house buildings. I like how you captured this. Your point of view works really well and the sky looks good too. I see the haloing John mentioned, but that should be an easy fix. Very cool!

What a cool old building, with a setting that gives it placement but doesn’t distract. I love the sky!

In most compositions I want to feel the camera was level but there is often no good clue and that goes double for old buildings. The brighter column at the center is probably the best clue and it looks vertical – actually all of them do. And the perspective at the base of the building looks good, with the two vanishing point lines looking plausible.

The way the tree on the right is leaning is a bit of a distraction for me. Doing a wide angle correction might mess up the building but could be worth a look. Or crop from the right enough to hide the trunk.

I am attracted to a sepia tone for old buildings and a cooler one for winter scenes, but it’s certainly artist’s choice. I had to look closely but now see what @John_Williams is saying about the color. There are several ways to tone and the few times I’ve done it, I probably haven’t paid enough attention.

John, thank so much for the valuable feedback. It’s funny what you don’t notice as the original photographer. The ghosting, leaning tree, etc. I will take your advice and work on this photo more.

Thanks again!
Scott

1 Like

Steve, thanks for the comments. Most appreciated!

Scott

Thanks Diane for the most valuable feedback. I am going to straighten the tree using the PS Warp feature, and experiment with the toning. I may just go full BW.

Thanks again!
Scott

Here is an edited version based upon feedback. Removed some ghosting, straightened the leaning tree on the right, went with a different sepia tone.

Thanks again for the feedback!
Scott

1 Like

Wonderful in every way!!