The dawn is just arrived on the hills

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

While exploring the hills near Pisa suddenly the sun of the dawn fired some threes and the tops of the sweet hills.

Specific Feedback

I loved the fight between the soft incoming lights and the resistant shadows of the night.

Technical Details

Z 7II, Nikkor Z 24-70 mm f/2,8 at 40mm - f/11, 1/125, ISO 800 hand helded.

1 Like

Giuseppe, che bel paesaggio! Yes, the light and shadow play you captured is captivating and nicely balanced. I can almost feel the coolness in the air. I would like to think that image would be even better if you tried to eliminate the lighter areas on the right side of the frame. I want to stay with the green fields, but those lighter areas on the right keep competing for my attention. Perhaps a tigher crop from the right and bottom could solve that issue while still maintaining the light play in the green fields. I would even eliminate the small road going out of the frame. These are just random thoughts if you feel like trying them out.

Giuseppe, I love the light on the green hills. I also wonder about a crop of lighter right side and road.

Beautiful image. I would suggest maybe make the sky a bit more blue or darker -or add a bit of dehaze to sky? The light on the hills is truly amazing! I like the winding road, but it does lead my eye out of the photo, so maybe crop as suggested.

Nice dawn picture. I actually like the telephone poles here.

Thanks for your good and right suggestions. I will surly implement them. The crop is important and I have to edit a new image. I will try and then repost the image. Thanks again.

You could also take a crack at cloning it out if you’re wanting to still keep the right side. It probably wouldn’t be too challenging. Lovely image by the way!

Thanks David for the alternative. I will decide while making the editing.

1 Like

Guiseppe, I really love how you are seeing the light! Italy has my heart for many reasons, and the light on the hills is one of them! I think the discussion around the small road is worthy of consideration, but then for me it’s part of the scene. Small roads lead everywhere on these hills, and they are part of the story. It’s not terrible distracting as it’s mostly in shadow. I believe the eye is captivated by the light on the green hills and not pulled to the right side very strongly. That said, I would prefer either a tiny bit less of the white sky - or first, as @robertakayne suggested a slight dehaze or a slight color added. As it stands, the white sky is a bit too overpowering, so either making it bluer or cropping some out would help the image overall.

Thanks Brenda. I have already done a new editing of the image following the good suggestions that I received and I like it . What you said makes me decide of saving also the original version with the street. Yes I have worked the sky in the way that you said, I hope.

Giuseppe, this edit you posted is really great. Even the bright LRC becomes secondary to the light we see in the green hills. You might consider putting this image above, side by side with the original photo. That way viewers won’t have to scroll up and down to search for the edited image. While doing this, it is also helpful to edit the title of the post to indicate there is a revised image. Here’s what I suggest:

(1) Just click the pencil icon to modify that title first. Add +rework or +re-edit to the very first line of your post that shows the title.

(2) To add the re-edited image next to the original one, you’ll click on the pencil icon at the bottom of the original post. You are then taken to the edit mode of your entry. I would suggest placing the cursor at the very top before the original image. That way, the re-edited photo will be the first we see. Please make sure you do not remove the original image. If you want, add some text after the re-edited and original images. That will help viewers know which image they are looking at, if not completely obvious.

Great editing you did there. This surely makes me want to hurry back to Italy.

I tried to follow the instruction of Egidio Leitao for putting side by side the original and reworked images but something went wrong. When for restarting I wanted to delate my error NPN told me that I cant remove the uploaded photo.
Egidio can’t I do anythig?

Giuseppe, the two images are appearing side by side. However, you only see that when you click on the first image. You can then go from one image to the other. You might want to do item 1 so that viewers know there is another image along with the original.

I appreciate the sensitive treatment of the green hills. For me, the LRC and road provide an entry point to the scene; my eye travels up the road and then to the left. In addition to the edits you have already made, you might consider emphasizing the curvature of the terrain in the LRC … creates an echo of the curves of the green hills. The sky has some subtle texture and colors when I applied a darkening curve to it.

Yes Dick, lowering the light with curve in the sky appear the colors and the thin clouds of the dawn. Thanks. I will keep the original image as a good alternative also if now I like better the rework.