The Dazzling Three

For visitors to the eastern side of Rocky Mtn National Park, these three prominent peaks; Otis, Hallet, and Flatop Mtn. (left to right) are unforgettable. They loom over the area like giant sentinels guarding the valleys below.
I felt fortunate this particular morning as the rosy sky color was outstanding. Although my weather research predicted the conditions, one is never quite sure how local weather in Rocky NP will turn out. Although I anticipated decent conditions, I didn’t expect this “rosy” glow. It was really overpowering for a few minutes. Hopefully, I conveyed the light well, but I would like feedback on the image overall and color grading I did in post processing.

Best to ya this new year!
Ken

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

You have some beautiful glow, Ken. The composition works, too. In terms of tonality, the gradation of the tones from left to right on the trees are very lovely but I do think that the left-most areas are a little too bright to be on a corner. One suggestion would be to dodge/burn to shift that gradation a little inward.

Finally, color is a very subjective thing but I find it a little too rosey. I would shift it more towards magenta. What do you think?

Hi Adhika! I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. In regards to the light coming in on the edge, yea, I could have adjusted its position off the edge a bit. However, for those who know this location (and there are many), I wanted to keep the light plausible. The sun does rise in a position in this composition where it is off to the right. My main objective was leveraging this light to recreate the sense of dimension I saw while taking this image.
In regards to color, I also appreciate your suggestion. Indeed, it could be a bit too “rosy” but as always it depends on what monitor or device one is using. But again, that is why I wanted feedback. You clearly see more of the rosy color than I probably wanted to display. I will say on my calibrated monitor, it is fairly close to the scene as I witnessed it. Actually, I even lowered the saturation in my processing. I will say that my objective for color was displaying a significant wash of rosy color across the image. And actually, on my monitor and on this site, it displays more yellow than I intended. On Facebook, it displays more red. Go figure.
Cheers!

Ken,

Beautiful winter mountain landscape. I think you did well to capture the “wash” of color across the entire scene. I think the slightly pink snow in the foreground that goes cooler in the shadows of the forest are spot on.

And agree color in general is subjective. I can’t tell if there are clouds present or if this is just pure sky - and I’m assuming we’re seeing the “earth’s shadow?” If this is the earth’s shadow, I would agree somewhat with Adhika that this could be more pink/magenta. I even see a little orange UR area. Then again, if this is in the direction of sunrise, then all bets are off and colors can do amazing things before sunrise/after sunset. So again, totally subjective and personal choice.

I do think the alpen glow (and this is true alpen glow) on the 3 peaks is wonderful.

Lon

Lon, Just for clarification, there were significant wispy clouds in this scene. Thus, the sky color doesn’t represent the earth’s shadow. Clouds and sky color at this elevation (8,000ft+) is always somewhat unique. The sun is coming up from the right and behind me. It was already up when this image was taken, but was shining though a wispy cloud layer, thus providing the illusion of alpine glow and the rosy glow to the image. Again, taking images at high elevations can be a real treat when the light cooperates.
Thanks for your comments!