The Three Peaks

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The three peaks during a summer hike in the Dolomites.
One of the most iconic locations

Technical Details

Nikon Z7II 14mm F/2.8

It is beautiful this image of the ā€˜Tre cime di lavaredoā€™, the three mountain tops of Lavaredo. It is taken from its retreat? It is one of my favorite trekking.
What I like are the light, the colors and the reflexions. I am not enthusiastic about both the clouds attached to the borders, also because they push the eyes out of the image with the risk of becoming cross-eyed! I think that it is possible to remove them surely in the RUC and probably also in the opposite site.

Lovely photo of this iconic location. Those talus slopes at the base of the peaks are very cool!

What grabs my eye the most, though, is that little bit of sky to the left of the leftmost peak, right at the frame edge. Itā€™s not matched by a sliver of light on the right, so it feels odd. Perhaps a slight crop to get rid of that sliver to make it more ā€œevenā€; that would solve that bright little cloud in the ULC, also. Hereā€™s my idea, along with a slight dodging of the green area - it looked a bit flat, but I donā€™t want to fiddle too much with your vision of portraying the scene ā€œas isā€.

I looks like I made the WB warmer, also - that was inadvertent when opened this in PS. I do like the warmer tone, though.

2 Likes

Idan,

Wonderful near/far ā€œreflectionscapeā€ image. In addtion to the reflection, I particularly like the light on the towering rock formations - and the talus slopes Bonnie mentions.

Iā€™m not familiar with the location and unsure if they towers of rock have natural leans to them, or are we seeing some wide angle lens distortion going on? Not a big deal, but again Iā€™m not sure, but suspect we are seeing some effect of the wider angle. I think a little tranformation and a crop/clone of that little cloud in the ULC could improve things a little . That little cloud almost looks like some weird artifact rather than a cloudā€¦ definitely pulls the eye.

I really like Bonnieā€™s edit, including the added warm and contrast. Youā€™ve got a great image work and should make an even better print after a few minor tweaks.

Thanks for sharing!

Beautiful image, Idan! I love the Tre Cimi formations, wish I had that light when I was there. The reflection is wonderful and it brings me back to being there. I agree with @Bonnie_Lampley 's edits, including the warming of the white balance too. I am not typically one to remove clouds, but in this case I think removing that little odd one in the ULC does indeed help!