Langkofel gruppe Italy dolomites

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Just a beautiful look at the Langkofel gruppe . Handheld from the walking path(trail). In the winter this is our skiing area.

Specific Feedback

All feedback is more than welcome. Also because mountains is not my daily photography work.

Technical Details

F13, 1/400, Iso 500, 24-120 nikon lens at 48mm

2 Likes

Well I think you have the hang of mountains already. The little bit of rolling hills and trees leads perfectly to the crags and peaks. The color looks natural and the focus as well - trees and near parts sharper and fading slightly as we move to the mountains. Some of the highlights in the clouds look perilously close to clipping - you could try a linear profile instead of an Adobe one which automatically adds contrast. Not sure if you edit in Lightroom, but they are easy to install and use. I can point you to them if you don’t already have one for your camera. Nice work and looks like a fabulous place to walk. Definitely a change of pace for you!

It’s a very nice image Ben. Especially considering that it seems to be around mid-day.
I really like the diagonal forest line at the bottom. It creates a sort of a leading line to the mountains.
The mountains themselves are very dominant and obviously the subject here. I think the left peak is a bit too close to the edge of the frame, given that the right peak has some more space.
I remember that the lack of symmetry in the peaks themselves caused me a bit of a headache too when I was there last year… in your image I guess if you would have opened the composition on the left, the diagonal would have been lost. So seems like a tradeoff, and overall in my opinion your choice is a good one, and this image works well.

Ben, yes, this doesn’t look like the Netherlands… :wink:. It’s a very striking view. I like how there’s a subtle angle to the eye flow from the lower right across the green fields to those very dramatic mountains.

Wow, Ben! :slight_smile:

This is calendar level photography in my mind.
Also fine art level!

The colors are great and, the contrast and saturation levels are spot on.

I’d love to visit this area someday but until then, I can enjoy it through your lens.

Great composition, Ben! :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing!

Kristen, thank you for your tips and nice comments. I edit in photoshop with TK9.
I use linear profiles sometimes in camera raw. For my new nikon Z8 I have to sent Tony Kuyper a mail.

Tom, I am glad you after all liked my image. Beautiful comment, thank you !

Ben

1 Like

Thanks for your comment, Mark. Now I know I made the image the right way.

Ben

Mervin, I am working on some more images I made in the dolomites last week. I look forward to see your comment about those images. I wil post them soon.

Ben

Actually Ben, this image doesn’t really work that well for me. I think the reason is that I feel you’ve pushed the clarity/texture too far. You can see that in the way there is a halo that follows the ridge line, which suggests the contrast (which is what clarity and texture inherently are) is over much. But it isn’t just that the clarity is pushed a bit too far, it’s that it is the same in the foreground as it is in the background. For me, this diminishes the depth of the image and gives it an almost pasted-on look, if you get my meaning. I would try pulling back the clarity/texture from about midway between foreground and background but especially in the clouds and mountains themselves. I hope this is helpful.

Kerry, Your thorough critique is helpful for sure ! Most of the time I keep away from clarity/texture. With this image I would take away the softness (unsharp) of the mountain structure ,but didn’t see what that does too the image. thank you so much !!
Ben