The huts

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This one is from the Dolomites, which I had the opportunity to see about 2 weeks ago. It was one of my favorite images, but I feel like it has its flaws.

Specific Feedback

I like the layers, but due to the size of the first mountain it’s quite dominant in the midground. At the same time, the height of the mountain compared to the hut is exactly what makes the relations.

Do you feel like there’s not enough interest in the middle? Surely, I’d like to hear your opinion about everything else, thanks!

Technical Details

Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-31 um 14.44.39

2 Likes

Markus, I think this looks just fine. For me, it the mix of subtle warm and cool colors and the ruggedness of the mountains. If you really want to emphasize just the rugged layers and the distance, you could crop to 4x5, keeping the top, but that’s a photo telling a very different story.

1 Like

This one needs to be seen larger than the thumbnail for sure to appreciate the scale. Nice work.

1 Like

Wonderful!! I don’t have an issue with the dominant mountain., possibly because of its very interesting face. The colors are wonderful! My only thought is maybe to bring up the black point just a small amount. The histogram shows no really dark tones and maybe just a nudge could be interesting. That may need to be accompanied by a slight nudge to brighten the midtones.

1 Like

To me the size of the first mountain in contrast to the huts conveys the grandness of the mountain and comparative smallness of the huts. One could analogize that to nature compared to humans. Works for me!

1 Like

Thanks, all of you! That really helped me a lot!