Dolomites

Alpe di Siusi, Dolomites 2018.
This was the first time visiting the place and this was during the early morning a bit after sunrise. Missed the sunrise by 20min because it was the first time going and didn’t know the location exactly.

Specific Feedback Requested

Color and Quality.
The color was shifted from mostly green to this yellow-orange tones.
Does that affect the quality of the image?

Anything you can think that could improve this shot?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D850
82mm Iso 64 1/2’’ f11

IG: @chlouk

Welcome to NPN. Very eye-catching image you have here. I like the rolling landscape and the textures in the grass and the buildings. In my experience, very warm light tends to muddy colors and make everything look as if you’ve got yellow shooting glasses on. So I brought this into ACR and cooled the white balance a little. I also adjusted white and black points and added some texture and lowered the dehaze slider a little. Then I played in the color channels a bit - reduced the blue saturation, adjusted the yellow toward the green and the orange toward the red - just to give them some separation. You could go a little further with some dodging & burning in the trees & buildings, but I stopped where I did. I hope you don’t mind my re-edit. We do this a lot around here.

I couldn’t find a better crop than this - to emphasize the arc of the buildings. I think scenes like this need to be wider or much more narrow to work well. Maybe one or two buildings isolated or a wider angle leaving more room on the right side of the nearest building. It looks like you were overwhelmed for choice and that’s a nice problem to have. One of these days I have got to get to Italy. Post more images if you have them - the Dolomites are so incredible.

1 Like

Wonderful scene. The only thought I had to improve was to mildly dodge the upper portion of the hill and buildings and trees on that level. It is so colorful and your composition works well. Kristen’s rework brightening the scene leaves me with a different mood or time of day. Photographer’s choice. Both versions work.

Welcome to NPN Valentinos; this is a lovely first post. The graceful curves of the sloping landscape are wonderful as is the spacing of the buildings and trees throughout the scene. Either version works for me although I slightly prefer @Kris_Smith 's rework with the yellow tones slightly lowered. It would have been nice to have a little more room on the right side for the tree, but it certainly is not a deal breaker.

I hope to see more images from you and do not be afraid to comment on other’s work as well.

1 Like

Welcome Valentinos to the community. It will be wonderful if you can frequently take us to places and light as lovely as this.
Your choice of destination and camera placement gave us a wonderful texture of hills and intersting arrangement of buildings. For me, the yellow hue is fine. The triangle of the 4 near buildings, accentuated by the terrain connecting them is the point of interest to me. However, that triangle is the least bright area of the image. In the attached version, I reversed that, dodging some of the trees and buildings in that area also.

Again, welcome, and please let us see more of your art.

1 Like

Nice image of my favorite yearly skiing place. I only know it with snow. These colors are wonderful and the buildings are well placed in the composition. And welcome of course ,you are here on the right place for honest comments.

1 Like

Welcome. I’m enjoying this very much. I prefer the original version without any further pop. My only question has nothing to do with photography. There are no roads or trails leading to any of the homes. I don’t suppose they were cloned out. Perhaps these homes aren’t used much. This image is how I imagined Switzerland to be.

The color and textures work very nicely together. This does seem a bit pushed in terms of overall saturation, but still presents well.

Hehe, ok!
Firstly let me thank everybody for the feedback you provided!
I never expected so much response!
Usually, I get a comment like “Nice” or just an emoji!

I will post the raw image below that is quite different from what you see here.
This was taken during the summer of 2018, everything was still green here, but I wanted to edit this into more fall - autumn - warm tones.

@Kris_Smith from your approach you do indeed have a point and a little bit wider does work better, I have shot it at a lot of focal lengths and I’ll put up a few more into another post. Color-wise about the yellows I’ll try to desaturate a bit and give it a go.

@ Patricia_Brundage good eye! yeah, that hill can take a bit more light! i’ll do that!

@ Dick_Knudson yeah that leads the eye much better into the scene!

@ Igor_Doncov heh take a look at the raw image below, no roads indeed it’s like a fairytale there! it was my first time there also and it takes a while to take in what your eyes are looking!

Here is the Raw image uncropped and with no edit whatsoever.
you will see its at a point you can take it either way towards green or yellow!

Thanks again everyone, i love this!