The Diamond (BW)

I posted the color version of this back in 2017, but with COVID-19 leaving me with extra time to play on the computer I’m playing with old photos. This was taken with my old LG G5 cell phone. The GPS died, so I’ve moved on, but I really liked the camera on that phone.

1 Like

For me, it has a wonderful rhythm to it. I like the white flower as a good contrast and focal point, but was wondering if you had considered burning it just a bit to bring out more detail? Really a wonderful photo.

Hey @John_Williams

Very beautiful image, a diamond indeed. Love the curved lines of the leafs and how the center flower grabs the eyes that then wonder thru the leafs all around the image.
I would consired burn the center a bit (as @linda_mellor said) to grab more information on that flower, and try to add contrast and reduce that foggy fealing a bit, like the version that follows.

Its a very detailed image, impressive for a cell phone, i didnt saw the colour version, but the b&w works great for me.

Thanks for sharing,
Cheers

2 Likes

This is such a great subject you can’t go wrong. I do remember the colored version where the cyan greens were striking. Doesn’t Noriega have a similar composition with this plant? All those dips and swirls. There are so many comps within this one. Perhaps some vignetting?

Well, Here is a suggested change that accentuates the center with vignetting and a white border.

4 Likes

Beautiful, John. It works great in B&W, with excellent tonal ranges. I like what @João_Ferrão did on his repost, but the original works pretty good too. Good use of isolation time (I am about to start doing some house painting to put my time to a useful end).

John,
I usually do not like things centered, but rules are made to be broken and in this case it works beautifully! I like this as is, but I think @Igor_Doncov’s small tweaks have taken this image up another notch. You have managed to fill the frame with a lovely arrangement of graceful lines and curves and that is no easy feat when photographing flora. Beautiful image.

Superb image, John, and it’s perfect in B&W. I like Igor’s suggestion of a slight vignette and I also think the white mat adds a lot as well.

Thank you all for your feedback, and @João_Ferrão and @Igor_Doncov for your edits. I will play with your ideas; I suspect my final edit will combine elements of both.