Back to the Ground

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

a

Creative direction

b

Specific Feedback

C/C Welcome

Technical Details

Nikon D810
Tamron 24-70

Description

c

2 Likes

Hi @joaoquintela. Not sure what you are looking for here - was this just a test?

At any rate, it’s beautiful! The scattered blossoms amid the dried leaves are appealing. I could see adding a vignette around that center dried mud area, just in the blues.

This is a WOW for me! The circular area of tan inside the blue-toned area is so appealing, and then the flowers, sprinkled around like stars in the sky, and also in a circular pattern! Wonderful!!!

And the fading green leaf so nicely off-center! My only suggestion, if you’re looking for one, would be to remove the few flowers that are right at the edges, but that’s a small thing. I think this is unique and very lovely!!

1 Like

Hi @joaoquintela ,
that’s a really beautiful scene. I like the vignette effect created by the gravel around the muddy area.

I might think about cropping the image. There are bright flowers everywhere except at the right edge of the frame. The balance could perhaps be improved if you cropped the image on the right side just before the first bright flower in the upper right.

Hy Bonnie, I’m still getting used to this new submission form. (Not sure i understand it)

I did use a curves layer ( different contrast) as well a vignette in the blues.

Thank you for your suggestion Diane,

I did think about that, but decide not to do. I will probably have a go, and try some cleaning.

Hi Jens,
thank you for your input.
I understand your point of view but I like that, somehow, more “empty” / clean space to balance the very crowded left area.

Oh my, this is absolutely beautiful. This is such an uplifting image. Just what I wanted to start the day. It’s both simple and complex. It’s also very symbolic in my opinion. The circle of life is represented by flowers and light. I like very much that this isn’t just a pattern shot of flowers. The question is does the yellow leaf add anything to it. I like the image as I imagine it without the leaf. But I also like the leaf as presented. It’s a win-win situation. I might desaturate that yellow just a tad though. It does keep the eye from exploring.

JoĂŁo,

This is just wonderful. A reminder of course there is so much at our feet - that we so often overlook. So glad you stopped for this one.

To continue on this thought, I also imagine what is not seen… and this is indeed a little circle of life where in the midst of a large, dry and rocky area… a little puddle of water in a depression that remained long enough to produce and bring the flowers to life. A little oasis among the rock…

I too was thinking of cropping a little off the right, which brings some symmetry or even-ness around the edges… but upon reading your response, I can appreciate what you’re after. And in fact, makes me think a little deeper that perfect symmetry and balance don’t always have to be there.

Regarding the new form, sorry it wasn’t easily understood. IMHO your posting style for most of your images IMHO has been more in line with the “Initial Reactin” type of Critique. I could be wrong, but I see most images you post you are looking for impressions, emotional response, etc. etc. and not so much technical. My guess would be “Intial Reaction” or perhaps “Standard” would fit better? Hopefully this will make more sense with your next post? Let us know if we can do anything that may help to understand.

Wonderful image no matter what!

What an eye to catch this lovely mix . It’s such an eye-catching pattern, and I love the newly fallen flowers mixed with the older leaves and sticks laying on the ancient rocks. The mud lightening the rock makes for a great natural vignette too.

This is stunning! Very delicate and very expressive. My only suggestion would be to crop slightly from the right to reduce the small blank area there.

I think what I find so appealing about this photograph is that all the blossoms have landed facing upwards. I also thought that these flowers were part of a ground based plant, but then realizing that they were fallen blossoms. The slight crop on the right side might not be a bad idea to help balance the overall feel.

Hello Joao, I love the abstracts qualities of this image - I am certainly often captivated by nature’s random loveliness like this. To that end, I would leave the flowers on the edge. They are part of that story! Great color contrast adds to the composition too. -Connie

I asked because you just put “a” “b” “c” for your self-critique, creative direction, etc, rather than describing what your intentions were, etc.

Oh my goodness, Joao! This is beautiful! I think @Igor_Doncov said it best when he mentioned the Circle of Life. That’s exactly what I get from this image too. Your title helped along that path but I really see how the flowers and the leaves replenish the soil with nutrients combined with a composition that has a wonderful round collection zone for the circle of life to complete itself. I would crop slightly off the right side of the image as it feels heavy to me and I love the yellow leaf. It does grab the eye but in a good way and it emphasizes more of the circle of life. Not just flowers but leaves too.

@Bonnie_Lampley , @Diane_Miller , @Jens_Ober , @Igor_Doncov , @Lon_Overacker , @John_Williams , @Bill_Chambers , @Youssef_Ismail , @connie4 and @David_Haynes

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions; your input is always welcome.
I decide to give a new crop and some flower cloning since this was what you mention the most

4 Likes