The support

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I spotted this bush growing against a clay wall. Find it somewhat interesting. Not sure if will work.

Technical Details

Niko D810
Tamron 24-70

5 Likes

I am really liking this one. The branches provide a great abstract pattern and the leaves really pop against the red background. I might clone out or darken the whitish spot LLC (and a bit in the LRC), but pretty minor. This one has a real strong impact with the dying look of the branches contrasted with the new, optimistic growth of the leaves.

I too am really enjoying this almost but not quite abstract image. The green leaves really pop against those barren branches underneath and what a pattern they provide. I would clone or burn down the two distractions in the LRC and the LLC as they do pull my eye quite a bit. This is a really nice find, Joao!

Hi JoĂŁo,
I really like this shot. I fully agree with the others. I have nothing to add.
Well done!

This is real find, a gem of an “almost abstract”. The green of the leaves play off beautifully against the red of the soil as does the barrenness of the branches against the fresh new buds. I agree with both David and Harley that cleaning up the llc and lrc would put the icing on the cake of a wonderful image.

JoĂŁo,

What a treat! So glad you posted because for many, many years I have eye vines growing on walls like these - in all different seasons. Most times they are on sound barrier walls along roads and freeways which aren’t always condusive to stop and photograph - but I keep seeing them. One of these days I’ll find a way to photograph.

This find is wonderful! Of course obvious with the sprouting leaves among the dead - or dormant lace of vines. Love this!

I will echo the slight distractions on both lower corners. Not a deal breaker and perhaps there’s a reason you intened to leave in there - maybe limited cropping choices, etc. But for sure an overall wonderful capture and presentation.

Lon

Here is an alternative. I haver found that with such compositions moving close and far with the camera seems to change the composition from looking busy to more ordered. The arrangement of lines within the frame is critical so I experiment with that. Just my opinion.

3 Likes

I like this crop a lot.

@Harley_Goldman , @David_Haynes , @Jens_Ober , @Kerry_Gordon , @Lon_Overacker, @Igor_Doncov and @Matt_Payne
Thank you all for your kind words and suggestions.
I do believe this is not an abstract image, in the sense that the image is, in my view, immediately perceptive. We can then consider it as an “almost abstract” as Kerry put it.

You did mention the white spots on both LLC and LRC - and I’m usually alert on those interference but, in reality, i kind of like it - especially the one on the LRC . But I’ll look at those again.

I did struggle a while with the wind, did a lot of exposures with several high ISO if needed, but after a while the wind stop completely enough time to get this exposure.

@Igor_Doncov - In general I totally agree with you regarding moving close in this type of images, and I like your crop, but you loose the idea and concept of “tree”.

I do have some issues with sharpness in the upper part of my original file - I was in a very awkward position and probably wasn’t parallel to the scene.

1 Like

I agree. That’s why I said it was an alternate.

JoĂŁo,

You touch on an important topic that many of us, including me… that we seek perfection - or conversely look for imperfections. Easy enough to agree on sensor dust spots or other imperfection - an errant branch just breaching the edge of a frame, or maybe a couple of “floaters” in a nicely mirrored reflection. But what I know I need to pay more attention to is that nature - or even semi-natural scenes like your are not perfect and really we shouldn’t always strive for perfection. I think this is what you’re driving towards. And of course everyone’s definition or perception of imperfection vs. perfection varies wildly. And that’s ok. My next posted image will be full of imperfections.

Lon

One of the things I love about photography is how may options we have; there are so many directions a scene can be taken and tell very different stories.

I enjoy your original image, and can see how it nicely fits the tree concept you note, but I love @Igor_Doncov’s crop and the way it focuses on the tension between the lines of the older vines and the leaves of the new life.