The Enchanted Forest - revised to straighten the left side of image

Critique Style: Standard

The photographer is looking for thoughtful feedback on the image as a whole, especially around the areas noted below.

Feedback Focus: Artistic / Expressive

About This Image

experimentin with ICM

Feedback Requested

I’m wondering whether the mood or feeling I was aiming for comes through.

Technical Details

Camera: NIKON Z 9
Lens: NIKKOR Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S
Focal length: 100mm
Shutter speed: 1/8s
Aperture: f/11
ISO: 125

2 Likes

Well done, Karl. The colors are pleasing. I particularly like the leaves at the bottom. Overall it has a very peaceful effect.

My only qualm is that the left half of the image is leaning to the right. You might want to consider straightening that area, e. g.:

If you’re not familiar with the technique, hit control J to duplicate the layer; hit control T and the corners will light up; right-click on the image and choose “distort”; drag the upper-left corner to the left.

I really like this image a lot., It is very ethereal, but not overly obscure. The only suggestion I would make is maybe try and darken the background just a little to bring out a little more of the green.

Hi Karl,

This image is quite lovely. I have been sitting here for a few minutes just letting the serene peaceful vibe soak in. The light fog imparts this quiet cool dampness to the scene that only reinforces that mood for me. I hope that is the mood you were going for. I love the subdued color palette as well as the vertical lines of the trees being enclosed in a landscape format. My only tiny suggestion has already been mentioned by @Don_Peters. Beautifully done; I hope you have some more. Have you been out shooting with Ed McGuirk lately? I haven’t heard from him in a while.

Karl: If you’re merely experimenting with ICM I think you’ve done really well. Marvelous scene superbly conceived, captured and presented. Top notch result. >=))>

Karl,

Wow, what an outstanding ICM! I’m still trying to figure this one out in terms of the creation. Was this a single motion? I guess I can see that, especially at 1/8th. Then I’m also thinking a 2x multiple exposure? Of course it doesn’t matter (only for others to learn), the results really paid off with this?

As far as my reaction, I’m guessing I subconsciously already know the title of the post, but I seemingly forgot that and came up with “enchanting” all by myself… ha ha, maybe… Enchanted? I’d also throw in Enlightened. There’s an opening just right of center that could be seen as a “portal”; certainly an entrance or a way through the Enchanted Forest.

Very minor suggestion might be to shave a little off the left edge to remove the lighter area. No biggie. And I’ll step away from the box and say that I like have the trees leaning just a bit. The ones on the left leaning in, and the ones on the right leaning in slightly, really helps enhance or create that “portal” look and feel.

Just love this! Great ICM work!

Thank you @Don_Peters - great observation - also used some of your techniques to get to this revised version - just dont know how only the left side is tilted!

Thanks also to @Mike_Lindeman @Bill_Fach

@Ed_Lowe - this was actually with Ed McGuirk last June in Sugar Hills ( lupines) - saw the fog and light and tried to make something meaningful of it. We are shooting again Oct 1-6 in VT. And yes i do have a few more experiments like these with the lupines too :slight_smile:

@Lon_Overacker - how poetic!. this is a ICM 1/8 sec - but the secret is in the speed with which ones moves the camera - to find that pleasing one - and then I also took a still shot and applied a 30-40% blend

@Bill_Fach - I am primarily a wildlife guy that has been doing a lot more landscapes and astro-landscapes - ICMs are far and few between - thanks!

1 Like

Just popping in to say I like this a lot. To me, the feeling is fresh and inviting. I’m curious what mood or feeling you were aiming for. I often see requests for whether it suits the mood, but not what mood the photographer was trying to communicate. Personally, I like to know that to compare and learn from it myself.

Like Lon, I don’t mind the leaning trees. I like the original and the revision equally. Really nice image!
ML

@Marylynne_Diggs To me it seemed like a quiet, dreamlike forest suspended between mist and light, where the trees seem to disappear into the unknown and the soft glow ahead suggests a path yet to be revealed.

1 Like

I’m late here but have to pop in to say WOW! I LOVE this!! I think the blend of the two exposures adds a lot to what would have been wonderful anyway! And I’ll vote for the straightened trees – an excellent job of fixing them. Hope to see more of this experiment!

I definitely get an enchanted forest vibe.

ty @ Diane!

I’m not sure what mood you were aiming for, Karl, but this image just feels like spring to me. A little mist/fog in the air, warming up nicely, greens coming out. The ICM produces a sense of upward lifting which combined with the light greens adds a feeling of growth. Very well done.