The Forests of Michigan

Part of a day spent driving across central Upper Michigan and capturing shots of the colors. I really enjoy the different abstract shots of the forest you can see from above. The fall colors bring out the different types of trees and really transform the landscape.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all. The tree shadows were important to me in taking the photo. I think the brightest clumps of trees lead you through the image.

Technical Details

Shot with a DJI mini 2. Edited in Lightroom. Added some contrast vibrance and dehaze.

3 Likes

Beautiful image Cameron! I really like all the different colors, the shadows and the layout of the landscape. I would just tone down the brightest highlights a tad but it’s a minor thing, maybe it’s just my monitor. Looks like a real nice area to explore. Nice work and looking forward to seeing more.

1 Like

Gorgeous color. I really need to get to the Porkies one of these days. I like the shades and shapes, but I don’t feel like there’s any organizing principle or area that you want me to look at. It feels like a snapshot and not something deliberately crafted. I’ve never flown a drone so I imagine it is a bit hit or miss, but the best shot seem to reveal something more distinct.

1 Like

Thanks for taking a look Glenn! I’ll fiddle with the highlights a bit.

Thanks Kristen! I have never been to the Porkies myself. Sometimes you overlook your backyard. You can see what the drone sees as you fly it. I did compose this. Sometimes I focus on specific things but I was trying to be a bit more abstract here and just capture the patterns of the different colors. Sometimes things work, sometimes they don’t.

Lovely fall color, but I agree with @Kris_Smith that I’m not finding a strong subject. I find it interesting to scroll up to crop about 1/4 from the top – that keeps my eye on the closer trees and I can spend more time exploring them. Cruising down to just the shadows could be interesting too.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback Diane. I’ll play with my cropping some as well.