Blushed

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I grew up in southeastern Wisconsin but moved to south Florida more than 20 years ago. So I’m not blessed with trees with fall foliage anymore (except for the feeds of my lucky fellow photographers on social media). Once a year I drive my 80 y/o mother either back to WI in May, or back to FL in Oct. This year was back to FL. So I made plans to go when the peak foliage was predicted to happen. As it was, I was early for our local area, but colors were in full force further north. I made plans to visit an old-growth grove of trees in northeast WI, about a 2 hour drive from my Mom’s house, and the drive up, with heavy overcast skies with occasional clearing, and drizzling rain, was absolute bliss! I didn’t even mind the 45 degree temps!

To get where I was going I had to drive through the Menominee Indian Reservation along a desolate highway. When I pulled onto it, I saw signs that there were pull-offs every 5-10 miles or so, to allow faster traffic to pass (I was the slower hehe), so I made a point to stop on my way back from the grove. I think I stopped at each pull-off, getting out for some shots, and staying in the car for others. Everywhere I turned was beautiful colored trees.

I was feeling a little down this fall not being able to take a nice two week dedicated photography trip as I’ve done in years past, but this day totally made up for it. This day was pretty much perfect!

Specific Feedback

Nothing specific. Just general observations for improvement.

Technical Details

I don’t have the RAW file in front of me now, but I know it was shot with a 100-400 lens, most likely maxed out. A high shutter speed to freeze the motion, a high ISO to make up for the low light, and a small aperture to get the most depth of field possible. I’m pretty sure I applied the new Denoise in Lightroom as well. Most edits were done in Lightroom. When I get home I’ll see if I can add my exact metadata.

1 Like

Thank goodness for turnoffs. Lovely, image. The color on the maple sapling looks great against the dark green pines, and the light color in the foreground sets up the image well moving the eye right to the pink leaves.

1 Like

Especially when cars are whizzing by at 55mph. Don’t want to be just pulled on the shoulder. :grin: Thanks Larry!

A lovely composition, Barbara. Yes, pullouts are wonderful and we have far too few of them on our local country roads (far too few shoulders for that matter. I like the relatively sparse reds against the green.

1 Like

Thanks Dennis, I appreciate that.

I know a few years ago I was up visiting my folks and went out on a scenic drive around the same time of year. Beautiful foliage, but not one spot to pull over and the shoulder was about 5 inches wide with about 20 foot drop down. I don’t know how a state or national park can create a scenic drive with nowhere to pull over?! But… that’s neither here nor there. lol I know where to go now. haha