Discoveries

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I took a number of long weekend trips this fall to capture the colors. I went in and around Upper Michigan and Northern Wisconsin. On a trip to Wisconsin I flew my drone over an unassuming bit of marshland and discovered this. A discovery like this is definitely one of my favorite things about photography- when a seemingly normal scene becomes something magic.

Specific Feedback

I have tried to crop and alter the color on this shot a number of ways. I have attempted to place the stream on an angle from the upper left to lower right corner.

Technical Details

Taken with a DJI Mini 3 drone. Edited in lightroom.

3 Likes

Fascinating! I peered at it intently trying to figure out if it was a drone shot or a piece of rusty metal. I love the colors, textures and composition!

1 Like

Wow! What colors and design captured. A beautiful, abstract like photograph. I can see why you are happy with it. Very unique fall photograph.

1 Like

I love the colors and textures and the central blue line of the water. I wonder how it would look without the blue water in LLC? Great shot!

1 Like

Thanks Diane! Some of my favorite drone finds are the things where you cant tell what exactly you are looking at.

Thanks Cathy! I’ll post a crop. I think i lke it better in there because it breaks up the the orange and red but i played around with a lot of crops on this.

Alternative crop.

1 Like

Thank you Judi!

Wow Cameron! What a great find! I love the mix of contrasting warm and cool colors. I love it. Well done!

Cameron: My first impression from the thumbnail was that this was a decaying leaf. So much cooler to know it’s a drone shot. Great find and for an unrepentant color junkie like me this could not be much better. Marvelous. >=))>

1 Like

Thank you Bill! I also love colors in photos. Probably why fall is my favorite time to photograph. Just so many exciting colors out there.

This was exactly same I was thinking, +1 what Diane said :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is really great. I have been doing a little bit of work along this line of what Art Wolfe calls Abstract Surrealism. In fact he offers a couple of workshops exploring this kind of photography. To me it brings to mind the work of Jackson Pollock. I like the lines , the color and composition.

1 Like

Thank you @KasperiS and @robert21. I will need to look into Art Wolfe’s photography.

This is a great image! The crop, colors, and abstract nature of the image are all balanced really well. I look forward to seeing more of your aerial images!

Isn’t it fun what we can find when we fly the drones around? Just remember to follow all laws - stay within line of sight, do not fly too high, and never fly in a designated “wilderness” area. It is easy to get caught up in the excitement. I got an Air 3 a few months ago, and your images are giving me the inspiration to get out more with it, but drones are not allowed in most places I like to visit (National Parks, Wilderness Areas, etc).

1 Like

Thanks Kyle,

Lots of great opportunities out there that you dont even realize until you get up in the air. I like to use the Google Map satellite view to find interesting geographic features and then work from there. Im in a fairly isolated area up here in Michigan and there are minimal restricted areas here, but i do always check out the rules for whereever i am flying.

Cameron, this is an amazing find! Really love both crops, but wonder what the original would look like if the LLC water is just desaturated a little, and the bright green spot
botton/middle would be cloned out. Either way, incredibly well seen and photographed!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback Fritz! i will continue to tinker.