The Grand Staircase

This is the Grand Staircase of the Biltmore House in Asheville, NC.

I just liked the way the light was draping across the staircase at an angle opposite the angle of the staircase itself and I liked the light and dark areas created by 128 years of being exposed to the elements.

Another thing I like about this place in general is that it’s situated in such a large area of nature with plenty of wildlife, ponds and trees.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback welcome and appreciated.

Technical Details

A7R IV, 90mm Macro, 1/320s, f6.3, ISO 100, Lr & Ps, Cropped for composition.

Hey Merv, this is an awesome image. I like the angled light as you said, counter to the staircase. The ornate work on the outside of the building gives it such an old world feeling. Wonderful scene.

1 Like

Thank you @David_Bostock, this place has so many photo ops!
I could spend hours an hours there and still not capture all of the incredible features it has to offer.
They’ve done a great job of preserving and maintaining this historic wonder.

Glad you like it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Merv. It looks like that new camera and 90 macro are working well for you. The tonal gradations in this are wonderful as is the detail throught the whole scene, especially in the shadows. It certainly seems that your 60 megapixel sensor outshines one of 20 in my old G9 after all :wink:. Maybe I’ll need to start putting my D850 workhorse into a bit more action instead of just using it in my photomacrography rig. Cheers.

1 Like

Hey Phil, :slight_smile:

Thanks for stopping by!

Yeah, 15 stops of dynamic range was another major reason for going for such a camera, of course part of it was for micro and macro work, I’ve always been disappointed with 7 or 8 stops of DR on previous cameras.
I am really pleased with how sharp the 90mm macro lens is on architectural work, I used to do a lot a architectural stuff and now I’m liking it better than ever.

Yes, by all means, put that D850 to work on your nature art! I’ve been missing your artistic skills being displayed here for us to admire! :slight_smile:

I hope you’ve had a wonderful holiday season!
I hope 2023 will be a great year for ya :slight_smile:

I appreciate the compliments on this image, they are words of inspiration for sure!