The Guardians

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was taken during a photo workshop. Getting to Olmstead Point in Yosemite was challenging, as I do not have a mountain goat in my DNA. I sat on the smooth rock, enjoyed the sunset, and tried to capture what I saw without moving around. The tree and Half Dome were the stars.

Specific Feedback

There was an overall blue cast to the RAW file. I warmed it up a bit. All feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

Sony a7iv, at 56 mm, ISO 100, f/16, 0.8 sec. Taken on a tripod
Processed in LR and PS using TK9 luminosity masking to balance the color and values.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Excellent image from this very familiar vantage point, Barbara. The solid composition works as presented. However, the post processing is flat spot on… :+1:

Barbara, while Halfdome and the tree are the stars, the gently colored sky is the orchestra that makes this sing. It’s a beautiful, calm, inviting view. A wall hanger view of a well known Icon.

Thanks to @Mark_Seaver and @Paul_Breitkreuz for your very generioua evaluation. I am honored by your feedback.

The light and colors are beautiful in this image Barbara. You did well in capturing the foreground details in a fairly dark setting andbringing them out.

@Ed_Williams you are gernerous with your feedback. It is much appreciated. The post processing on this image took time and multiple layers.