The Hottie is Back

Description: I bought this dahlia a few years ago as a Christmas present for my wife. It is an unusual color for dahlias in that the vibrant magenta color is not muddy like many of the dark red and purple dahlias. I also wanted to test out the Focus Shift feature of the D850 which automatically moves the focus point automatically for generating images for photo stacking. Threatening skies and brisk bursts of wind produced a reasonable image with a few artifacts. So there’s not much art in the image, but a test to see if image stacking in the field is practical. The variety is I’m a Hottie.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D850 105mm F2.8 micro on tripod with natural light (50 shots taken with Focus Shift; 1/80 sec at f5.6, ISO 125) Zerene Stacker Pmax with editing for final image, Levels, Slight crop for comp, and some hand editing edge effects from stacking with rubber stamp tool…Jim

Is this a composite?

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

WOW! This is a gorgeous dahlia and you composed the shot so well and captured it in perfect light! That’s enough art for me! I’m amazed you could capture a stack this well out in nature. (I’m running for my camera manual to see if I can do that…)

1 Like

Have zero knowledge of photo stacking, but the details in the dahlia look spot on to me. What a beautiful specimen. You’ve placed it nicely in the frame with just a touch of environment to complete the image.

1 Like

WOW Jim, that is amazing. The stacking really paid off and this came out very sharp.

1 Like