The Iceman Goeth

On a bus tour of Iceland’s Snaefellsnes region, there was one crazy young man on the bus. Crazy in a good way. He just could not contain his frantic excitement at almost anything and everything. When we stopped at the point where this panorama was taken, he ran straight out into the far distance. Miraculously he did not break a leg by stepping into a pothole.
I was busy with the technicalities of photographing a panorama in sections, and I forgot about him until weeks later when I was stitching the images together.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any and all welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I think the tiny silhouette just finished off the panorama beautifully. What do you think?
Also, I could have made it fully monochrome, but I just love the faint pink blush in the clouds. Comment?

Any pertinent technical details:

None of any real interest. Five images stitched together in Photoshop. Exposure measured on the first shot, then fixed at that for the rest. Nikon D7000 with 18 mm at f4.5 and 1/1000.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I personally like the image. I like the feeling of vastness, the way the sky and land tend to blend together and the feeling of isolation and cold. I also think the small figure really adds to the image. It adds to the feeling of vastness and isolation.

1 Like

pieter,
i agree that the silhouttes adds scale to the image, i’m not sure about its positioning though. it is positioned right in front of the main area of interest (the glacial textures) and thus competes with it, while the rest of the image feels very empty. it would have been nice to see the person standing in the emptiness opposing the textural richness of the glacier. (i hope this makes sense).
if it where my shot i’d probably crop the left and top 35% of the image as they don’t really add to it. this would leave you with a roughly 2:1 crop of the person in front of the glacier.
cheers,
joerg

1 Like