The Lizard Takes A Peak

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Noticed this guy crawling around some tree roots and almost missed seeing him due to his camouflage blending into the tree trunk.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

This was a bird photography workshop and I was taking a break when quite by accident I noticed some movement among some tree roots and was able to isolate this guy for some nice images. Here he just pokes his head up into the sunlight out of the shadows.

Technical Details

Camera: Canon EOS R5. Lens: RF70-200mm F4 L IS USM @ 200mm, f/9.0, 1/4000 of a sec.
ISO: 1250. Edited in photoshop with Camera Raw and Topaz Denoise and Sharpen AI.

Specific Feedback

Any and all comments welcomed.

I find this to be a very striking and dramatic image. I love the “spotlight” on the lizard’s head. If possible, I would try to lighten the area around it just a touch to enlarge the spot slightly and bring out slightly more detail in the lizard’s head. Great image!

Thank you, Dave.